Hi there, I think your recovery will depend on how much they take from your tongue. With no flap it may be a little shorter recovery time. Surgery is not bad despite how it sounds. You'll be numb from the neck dissection, and swollen and may have drains, but it will be relatively painless because of the dissection. You'll need physio on your shoulder as they cut the muscles - healing will take a few weeks -by week three I was speaking and eating ok. Your tongue may be sore for a bit but will heal. I looked god awful but felt okay - my drains came out day two, I stopped the pain meds that day too as they made me loopy and I wasn't in much pain. I was home by day 10 and by day 17 I was in Mexico eating soft food from the buffet. I had a flap, and stitches in my wrist but I was okay. Try not to worry - you'll come through okay smile.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan