Las, your questions are great! I think you can find alot of this right on the main OCF pages, or by reading thru the posts.

Think about your support system and anyone who has offered to help you. Write down their name and contact info and tell them when the time comes you will let them know what they can do to help you. I would definitely line up play dates for your toddler. Other moms could be a great resource. Ask a few moms if they wouldnt mind each taking one day per week and making that "their day" that they are your helper. Even if all they do is spend an hour at your home making your child lunch and putting them down for a nap, that can be a HUGE help for when you arent feeling well. Make a list of chores that friends and relatives can select to help like making dinner, doing a load of laundry, vacuuming, taking the little one for a walk or to the play ground, picking up meds from the pharmacy, etc. Maybe look into one of the free housecleaning services for cancer patients. They arent available everywhere, so its hit or miss but it would be helpful.

Your recovery could be anywhere from 1 week - 4 weeks before you are feeling somewhat ok. You may be on some strong pain meds which will make you sleepy. Take the meds, being in pain is NOT helpful to any patient. Usually if a patient is to do radiation that will be about 6 weeks after the glossectomy.

Here is a list of easy to eat foods. It was originally made with radiation patients in mind but it may work for you after surgery too. The foods have a smoother texture and are not spicy which could be easier for you to eat.

Easy to Eat Foods

I always say its best to hope for the best but to prepare for the worst. Do your best to stay busy to help prepare for the surgery and keep your mind busy so you dont worry too much.

Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy