Nancy, since I was a long time drinker of both beer and wine this has been an issue of concern to me. There have been many posts on this subject here and I've probably read them all. You might consider searching for and reading same if you haven't already.

To say that the issue isn't settled is an understatement.

I will per usual just give you the benefit of my own personal experience. Since I didn't have chemo I was treated predominantly by a radiation oncologist. She adamantly told me no alcohol. A toast on New Year's Eve or my birthday ok. Otherwise: nyet.

I did consult with a medical oncologist (and wine lover...) and his opinion was that drinking wine/beer in moderation was ok.

So as the expression has it: go figure.

Both of these people are brilliant, btw, and I have enormous respect for them. I finally decided that as I rather prefer breathing to drinking I would err on the side of caution. As a side note I'm being treated by a neurologist for another condition and he's always been of the opinion that I shouldn't drink, and in fact that alcohol is bad for you. As is caffeine, especially for men. I know many docs feel differently about both.

Finally, and sorry for the long post, here I am nearly 4 years out from treatment and I don't care about alcohol at all. Couple years ago had a sip of beer on a hot day and must admit I liked it, but that was then.

I hope this helps rather than confuses.

Best of luck with the rest of your therapy! You'll definitely get through it and come out the other side.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18