Sweetz, welcome to OCF! I am so sorry you have gone thru so much and have a long road ahead still. The reason why you got this is something that is bothering you but it really is irrelevant, the treatment will be the same no matter the reason.

Being young, you are at an advantage. Your body will heal faster and you are stronger than someone elderly. Try your very best to think of all the positives how few they may be right now.

Your nutrition and hydration will play a huge role in how easily you get thru your treatments. At this time eat everything you can as your sense of taste will change and eating will become more difficult down the road.

Being a mother of young children, when someone asks what they can do to help, tell them you will let them know when the time comes. Write down their name and contact info and start making a list. Now is not the time to be proud, anyone who wants to help, let them. It could be something as simple as taking the kids out for ice cream or doing a load of laundry, it will all come in hand. Contact the American Cancer Society and arrange for help with rides to and from treatment. They will also give you up to $300 to use as a voucher for medications or transportation. Take all the help you can, you will need it.

We will help guide you thru the rough times and help you will recovery and treatment tips. Hang in there and you will get thru this. If you are overly anxious and worried a therapist may help, some patients take anxiety meds too. Do whatever it takes to get thru this. These things are all just tools to make it easier.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy