I'm currently being treated at Johns Hopkins and finally have surgery dates scheduled after several consultations, including their multidisciplinary team. Last Friday when I was terribly frustrated and upset after talking with my surgeon (basically rushed and rude and still no surgery dates), my husband contacted University of Maryland (another center of excellence) via the web to see about another opinion. We didn't hear anything from them, and Hopkins called me Monday with my schedule. Finally, a decision made and in motion.

Well, the doctor from University of Maryland called me this morning and after discussing the particulars of my case said he didn't understand why I was having surgery when I was going to need radiation and chemo or at least radiation anyway since I have nodal involvement. He said data does not support the benefit of surgery in addition. (He was careful to caveat that he would have to see me to make any actual recommendations about treatment but he doubted they would include surgery.) He offered to see me Monday for an examination/consultation. Unfortunately, I have appointments at Hopkins both morning and afternoon on Monday for a presurgery exam and speech pathology baseline. My first surgery is scheduled next Thursday.

I know you're not medical folks. I'm looking for personal experiences - which path you chose, if you would make the same choice again if you could, and why or why not. From reading other posts here, I think I know how David and Cheryl feel. Anyone else want to weigh in on this subject?

mausmarrow.com
Age 59 ex-smoker 1989
1/10 dx MDS (blood cancer)
2010-11 21 cycles Vidaza
11/10 Bone Marrow Transplant
8/31/12 dx SCC left BOT HPV 16+ T1N2cM0
10/11/12 TORS partial glossectomy clear margins
10/24/12 bilateral ND/ii-iv 92 nodes all clear
10/30/12 dx revised T1N0M0 no chemo or rads