Hi Everyone.

Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. The surgery took 15 hours last Friday. Everything went as expected. They removed 70% of his tongue, all lymph nodes, and reconstructed a flap using the thigh tissue. The swelling and stiches/staples were not a sight I was prepared for. He had some complications with swelling above and below the incision. He was in post recovery for 4 days because they was a shortage of nurse so thankfully, someone was there to monitor the swelling and check the flap hourly. On Tuesday he was transfered to his own room. He was able to get up and walk around the day after surgery. He's been walking 3KM daily since Monday ... doing laps around the floor he's on. The swelling on the right side has subsided, hopefully the left side will follow suit too. They will be removing the drains later today, as they have not been draining much fluids. Today or tomorrow they will be putting the G-Tube in. I watched while the in-turns tried to change his tranchea tube yesterday. It took them 8 times before they could get it alligned. I was ready to smack him!! However, with this new tube, he's finding it easier to bring up the mucus.

Cheryl, yes my dad's doc is Dr. Irish along with Dr. Hoffer (head of plastics who did the reconstruction) from PMH. I truly hope Dr. Irish is as good as people say, because his bedside manner has left me disappointed. We are in TGH and the nurses have been great with the exception of a few.

Question: My dad has always been a health freak. Supplements and vitamins are a part of their lifestyle. I can't seem to convince the doc's to allow for a probiotic to be added to his mealplan. He finished his antibiotic a couple of days ago, and I'd like for him to start supplementing again and rebuilding wellness inside out. I am shocked at the resistance to natural health practices from the doc's and dietitian. Is this the common?

We haven't met with the radialogist yet. Nor has a Speech therapist been by.

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Lea

CG - Father, Age 63, Non-Smoker
May 2012 - Diagnosed Stage IV Tongue Cancer (Left Side)
July 2012 - Surgery (Removed: 70% of Tongue & 77 Lymph Nodes - 3 Affected; Flap Reconstructed; G-Tube)
August 2012 - Teeth Removed; MRI Scan: 1 New Affected Lymph Node
Sep-Nov 2012 - 35 x Rad & 2 x Cisplatin Chemo