Annie, everything I was told at diagnosis and by my RO and MO since, and everything I've read here at OCF and elsewhere, all conclude that HPV+ SCC generally reflects a better outcome than HPV- SCC, as Kathy notes above. So if you are indeed positive you're at an advantage.

You've already been through a lot and you certainly don't want to consider further therapy that you may not need... HOWEVER, as Cheryl says, standard treatment (which of course varies by individual) does call for further radiation and/or chemotherapy, which they do to make sure they've got all the microscopic cells killed deader 'n dead.

All of which is to say that the wisest course right now is the one you're taking: going to a CCC. Hmm, well you actually wrote "leading cancer center", so I guess I shouldn't assume! But it sounds like a good thing and I'm confident they'll have some wise advice for you.

Hang in there!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18