Ben,
I had 3 surgeries on my tongue (if you count the biopsy as one & I do because they were all painful), a neck dissection, radiation and chemo, and I thought eating food during radiation/chemo was the least painful of all. I was fortunate to have very few mouth sores, don't know why except I did what they said with the baking soda, was careful not aggravate any sores I did get with food. So I had a big stash of VHC Carnation and Boost, and did not use any until the last week & still I ate solid food. I probably should have used the supplements during therapy just to make sure I was getting everything I needed in hindsight, but I hardly lost any weight.
I had my worst time in the 10 days (and it was just 10) following treatment, then I used pain meds for the first time, except for post surgery, and I could eat almost nothing in the way of solids.

I did not particularly want what I perceived as the hassle of a PEG, but I certainly would have gotten one if I could not eat.

The odds? I sure don't know the answer to that one. I think I, like Charm, also regarded bypassing the PEG as a way for me to control my treatment. (BTW, Charm, you brightened my day with Sir Lancelot's song--c'est moi! It's the music in me.)

Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021