My name is Fr. Mike and I have just recently been given the diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma and I am trying to get a crash course in what to expect. I have contacted that National Cancer Institute and they have sent me information which is where I found this website.

Almost four weeks ago I visited my dentist and showed him a tumor on the bottom of my tounge. Three weeks ago an oral surgeon did a biopsy. After the tissue taking two weeks to get to the lab I was given the diagnosis just last week. I was originally suppose to meet with the doctor who will be the one in charge of my care yesterday but that appointment had to be rescheduled until Tuesday. The result is that I still have no idea what course of treatment to expect. I don't know what stage the cancer is at. And searching the web has gotten me some very bleak information that I'm hoping isn't accurate.

I've been developing a list of questions to ask the docotr but any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fr. Mike

Fr. Mike
SCC on the base of tongue, right side. T2 N1 M0. July 25, 2003 partial (40%) glossectomy, forearm flap reconstruction, right side neck disection.