Venkat, welcome to OCF! You are no longer alone in your battle! Now is the time during radiation treatments when most of us started feeling pretty lousy. You are 2/3 finished already so no matter how rough it becomes, do not give up.

As far as the trismus goes, while waiting for the therabite, begin doing some mouth opening exercises. This is important so your limited opening doesnt get worse. Open your mouth as wide as possible and hold it for 7 seconds. Repeat it 7 times in a row and do this 7 times per day. Stretch as far as you can when holding your mouth open.

Soon the mucous will disappear and the dry mouth will start. If I remember correctly, it was about 3 weeks after I finished radiation when that change happened. Some patients get a suction machine to use at home. Ask your nurse about it when you go for your treatment. Its helpful to rinse your mouth a few times per day with a baking soda mixture. Mix about 2 cups of warm water with 2 tsp. baking soda and 2 tsp salt. If the salt burns, cut it back or omit it. This will also help heal your mouth.

Best wishes with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy