Hi Eli.............First, let me say how sorry I am to hear of your sister's recurrance of Oral Cancer. I know this must be a difficult time in all of your lives right now; the waitng, the wondering and the worry of how everything is going to turn out. We've all been there and as you already know, the weeks ahead might be more than just a little bumpy. I have no great words of wisdom but I do hope you find this forum, and this board, a place of some comfort during the next few weeks. We'll be here to answer questions, listen, and of course cheer you and your sister on. Good luck on the journey,

As far as Chemo, you might want to go back to the Home Page and click under the heading Oral Cancer in the News; scroll down and you'll find a section that deals with surgery, RAD and chemo. I found the information there to be pretty informative---anyway, it is a place to start.

I had chemo back in 1997 but my chemo was used more to "clean up" any lingering cancerous cells that might be hanging around after surgery. I was given the chemo cocktail of cisplatin and 5fu, both common drugs given with oral cancer. So my experience with Chemo is a bit different than what your sisters might be. Wish I could be of more help to you.
Keep us posted on your sisters treatment and recovery, I wish you the best! Sending good thoughts your way..........Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!