Hi Anne Marie:
It just so happens that I'm having it done tomorrow. It's called an endoscopy and I've had it done about 3 or 4 times since my treatments ended in January 08. You are sedated, but not strong because one of the times I had it done, I actually could hear them talking. Every time I have had it done, I can swallow better, but for not very long. Unfortunately, it's not permanent, or at least it isn't for me. Tomorrow they're also going to check some osteophytes (bone spurs) that are growing inside my throat to make sure that's not impeding on my swallowing. I had a swallow test, and the person who read it said it wasn't, but the doctor doing the endoscopy is going to check anyway. I hope your Dad does okay, and I will be thinking of him. Also, please say a little prayer for me too because I'm such a "chicken."
Julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile