Well, it would appear that they disagree with the dental oncologists at MDACC who are really the only people I asked for opinions on it before I took the time to answer the original post. Since the data on this entire idea is preliminary, (not the caries, the effectiveness of honey as a reduction agent in mucocitis since there isn't a large clinical trial), I think running out and doing this is an unknown. But if people here want to do it, and obviously there are several of you that are sold on it even though the data is not robust, people should do what they wish.

OCF will not endorse the idea until it is a mainstream idea, with known outcomes. That means when multiple institutions buy into it through some kind of review process. We treat every new drug idea or treatment in the same way. From my own perspective, and I will forward this onto people that know more than me tomorrow, of course it is less soluble in a dry environment, that is a forgone conclusion, everything is; and that solubility does not address the question. If it is meant to insinuate that it stays on the mucosa and does not become viscous enough to get in between your teeth and all the micro grooves and fossas in the occlusal surfaces, that seems less than plausible. Acidic elements from Coke and lemon juice are known to be harmful to enamel and have been published on. As to increasing the mico hardness of the enamel, there is no explanation of how this might take place, and if that could be done, then the potential here would be in the general population, to help prevent caries by doing this. If micro hardness (a pretty abstract term) could be achieved, -you would have to have a mechanism for recalicifying the porosity of the enamel that comes as a radiation byproduct -we could eliminate caries in underserved and poor populations by doing so, and those are kids that do not have the $ to go to the dentist. No one anywhere has suggested that. There is a lot of grey in this statement.

Since everyone is seems happy to accept vague claims, and early stage findings, I am really done with the PM's and the back and forth on the idea until more data is abailable. Accept it if you wish. I have voiced what I believe legitimate concerns from OCF's perspective, based on opinions by oral oncologists at MDACC. It is an interesting idea. I hope it offers some serious relief 'cause I can tell you personally, really bad mucocitis had me on morphine for almost a year.... the worst experience ever. What the honey solution turns out to be 5 years from now, remains to be seen. What the data shows related to other dental issues does not exists (caries).

You are all free individuals and can do as you see appropriate along with your doctors.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.