Hi Joel,

Sounds like your RO is a real joy. Pam's STD was through Madison National Life. We gave them four references (ENT, RO, MO and the hospital). I believe the information was that they needed two doctors and could have a independent exam but it didn't go past the forms from the doctors. I think they had provided us with a form and I made copies and I called each office to see who needed to receive the forms, talked to them, then hand delivered to them since we were within walking distance getting treatment each day.

Looking at one of the blank forms, the closest question they had was "Date patient became unable to work due to this impairment?"

My wife's situation was a little different, when she had her first diagnosis, surgeries and treatment she didn't have STD insurance and was out of work on family medical leave and her accrued vacation time for six months. She returned to work part time, went to full time for about two months (during which her company had open enrollment where she signed up for STD) before her her diagnosis changed when the cancer metastisized. I think there was a 30 day waiting period before the STD kicked in and was valid for six months that just ended last month. She was approved at the same time for Social Security Disability and there is a six month waiting period that the STD covered and we are expecting her first SSDI later this month.

Insurance companies are not fun to deal with (sounds like some RO's too) but I find it difficult to believe you wouldn't qualify. This is why you have been paying for their insurance. Keep at them and good luck. Be sure to let us know how it is going.

She was treated at the University of Minnesota Fairview Hospital. Her RO, MO and ENT were all associated, meeting each Friday on the tumor board. Not sure if that is the same everywhere.

Last edited by TomT; 12-09-2009 07:11 PM. Reason: added where treated

Tom-CG to wife, Pam 46@dx
Stage IV Tongue Cancer T2N2C
Dx 6/08, Surgery 7/08, 3 nodes positive
9/08 33IMRT/7Carbo/Taxol
4/09 node biopsy positive, mets to lungs/stomach
5/09 Cisplatin or Cis/Alimta study
6/09 Cis/Taxotere
9/09 Taxotere
1/10 Xeloda
3/10 Cetuximab weekly
6/29/10 lost battle