Hi Nicki,

Don't assume anything. My first doctor removed a perfectly good saliva gland because he said 'it wouldn't function after radiation anyway'. I had SCC in only one lymph node far away from the gland and no known primary. We have little enough saliva after radiation to lose any functioning saliva glands that do not have SCC.

As to scars, ask for stitches, not clamps. I told my second surgeon that I didn't do scars and he did a marvelous job. Neck dissections are like a form of plastic surgery and all that hem stitching underneath really counts toward the final result. He only used one clamp and the rest was all stitches. While this will look horrible when you first see him after surgery, it does heal. I also used a cream called Biafine to help with the healing and the PT massaged the scar to reduce tightening.

They will probably have him out of bed the day after surgery. They want you to walk. I would suggest he support his arm with his hand so that there is no drag on the shoulder. Your arm is very weak after surgery and I found if I didn't support it, I pulled the shoulder out of whack. This is what got me in trouble when I had the first surgery. I also supported in with a pillow when I was sitting. You don't need to pamper it, just don't let it be dead weight pulling on the shoulder until it gets it strenghth back.

It's too bad he has to wait so long for surgery. Anticipation anxiety is the pits. No wonder he is scared.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I