Hi Nicki,

I would like to say that I would have given my right arm to have had a caregiver such as yourself while I underwent surgery/treatments, etc. Tom is a very lucky person to have such a loving, caring and supportive wife by his side. Give yourself a pat on the back - you deserve so much more.

For what it's worth, during my glossectomy they also did neck dissections on both sides - 54 nodes removed from the right (5 positive) and 34 removed from the left (all negative). I just made it to my one year anniversary post treatment and although I'm waiting now for my CT scan results I can see such a huge difference in my life now than the way it was last Thanksgiving. I still have many "issues" and will continue to have "issues" from now on, but I'm finding ways to either work around them or just learn to live with them. Tom has every right to be scared, emotional, angry, etc. I know that I still deal with these same feelings even today. Unfortunately(?) you are experiencing these with him whereas I dealt with them basically alone and on my own. Hang in there! And tell Tom that we are all praying for him to fly through this surgery. It's no walk in the park, by any means, but doesn't come close in comparison to the chemo and radiation.

Sorry for rambling but wanted to know that I'm thinking of you both.

Many hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03