Hello, Gentlemen.
Thank you so much for the encouragement. It has brightened my day - and I therefore had a good day at work with only a few heavy sighs thrown in when I let my mind wander too much......

It is good to know that you are swimming and "digging in the dirt" and doing 'regular' things - and needing only Tylenol to get through. Tom's karate sensei visited last weekend and he is so gently encouraging - I know Tom is longing to get back into the dojo, and I know he'll be there as soon as he can. While I doubt he'll be up to his top abilities for a long while, I have no doubt he'll regain his skill level with time.

I'm thinking I may have to have him see a psychologist or other 'head' doctor. He's very, very emotional right now, and that is fine, but at times he gets very morose and he says things that 'scare' me......like "if this comes back, I don't think I'd be able to handle chemo again." I remind him of the survival stories here, and I've told him that he WOULD be able to handle whatever comes our way because we have each other and a great life ahead. We do remind ourselves often that God never gives you more than you can handle - and that we need to hand the fears over to Him. Sigh.....sometimes it is easier said than done, however.

Kirk, did you go through physical therapy? If so, how soon after surgery did you begin? Did the surgery have any impact on your speech/swallowing functions?

Love you guys..
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.