Hello, friends! I've been gone a week and it seems like a year! I've missed talking to all of you.
Tom has his CTscan on the 11th, but the surgeon was unable to get the scope down the nose for the rest of the exam, so we went on to Georgia and got back to the doc on the 18th. The tumor board has recommended a 'modified radical' dissection of the right side and because there are two 2 cm nodes presenting on the left, they are suggesting surgery on that side as well - although it would not be as much.
Deep breath time - and believe me, I'm holding on to all you have said about the surgery being the easy part of all this.
On the good side - Tom has improved, strength-wise, and is talking longer walks and even went into the office for 1/2 day today. The visit with kids and grandkids did him well, although he rested most of the time.
Despite all I've tried to 'gently' tell him, he was truly devastated when the surgeon frankly told him not to expect to return to his 'former self.' After hearing what you have said, I was glad the doctor told him to expect at least a 6-week recovery period for the surgical portion, and at least 6 months to recoup the energy/stamina, etc. from the rest of the treatment. He cautioned Tom to understand that the Tom of old might never return, but to take the blessings that have come from this experience as 'replacement' for whatever was lost.
I've got to go now.....missed you and wanted to keep you informed. I'll hope to get time here tomorrow to catch up on everyone else!
Love
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.