Hi Nicki,
I have had two neck disections 4 years a part. How bad this surgery will be will depend on what sections and muscles they have to cut. Please read the section on the forum for this and then ask the doctors all the questions about what nodes etc. Yes, this can be a walk in the park after what we have gone through, but also can be something very difficult to recover from if they have to cut shoulder muscle. Make certain they try to preserve his saliva glands if possible. Doesn't sound like they will take them but always good to ask.

As to after surgery issues, make certain he his referred to a PT who knows how to handle neck dissection issues as soon as possible after he is released, especially if he plans to get back to martial arts. I was out of hospital both times in 5 days. Stupid me, went back to work at desk job 5 days later and paid for it with major back pain for 9 months. PT was not precribed first time until damage done. Second time, in PT 2 weeks after surgery and no problems. Ready for work after 8 weeks.

I do hope his surgery goes well and he recouperates quickly.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I