Stephany,

Magic Mouthwash is a combination mixed by a pharmacist. There are a few variations, but it can include lidocaine, morphine, maalox, benedryl and/or nystatin. The idea is to numb the mouth so one can eat or drink. The nystatin would be added if there is a problem with thrush, but I don't think it is usually part of the mixture.

Does your mom's doctor know she isn't eating? If so, he shouldn't have a problem prescribing it for her. If he doesn't know, he needs to be told ASAP. He should be the one telling your mom she needs a PEG tube. It shouldn't even be on your shoulders to have to talk her into it. The pain management doc should know what magic mouthwash is and if it would be appropriate for your mom. I hope they soon get all the tests done and get some treatment started.

Home health care would be used while your mom is undergoing some kind of curative treatment. If it is at the point that she is receiving palliative treatment or no treatment at all, then it is time for hospice. Basically, when the doctors have said there is nothing more they can do to help your mom, then it is time to call hospice. These people are generally experts in pain control and their main goal would be to keep your mom as comfortable and pain free as possible. They strive to allow the patient to retain their dignity. They can help your entire family to prepare for the inevitable. If your mom is going to receive any treatment that is not considered palliative, she would not be eligible for hospice care yet.

Take care,
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.