Cindy,
I think what the doctor meant by his remark is that statistically speaking, patients who complete the entire treatment protocol have a much better chance of survival - at least that's what my oncologist told me. Since I am an "insider" he had serious doubts that I would make it through treatment but I surprised him (myself too, a little bit, but I was bound and determined).

My wife actually got to the point of having discussions with a divorce attorney. We are stronger and closer than ever now, being gifted with the "miracle of reconciliation".

It's good that you have places to vent. Find more if you can. Don't put too much burden in one place - spread it out. Talk to your hospital social worker for additional support groups and resources. Ask for respite care from friends and family so you can have time for yourself. I had several drivers to take me the 60 miles to RT each day and that helped my wife a lot. And we're here too! He will probably get even more miserable later on as he's gets more beat up from the treatment. Roll with it as best you can - it will pass and hopefully he too be making amends to you for the next several years.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)