Hello My friends,

I can thank you enough for the advice you all have so kindly given me. Thanks to the people in here, my family obtained a second opinion from a surgeon here in LA who basically disagreed with my mom's prior doctor. Basically, he ordered a PET scan and CT scan to confirm that the cancer has in fact recurred. He thinks it has as her doctor thought so. But her doctor had told her that there was nothing that could be done. That a biopsy would break her jaw and even if cancer was confirmed, that there was nothing that could be done for her.

But, this new doctor disagreed and said that a biopsy could be performed because of the space in her jaw. And he ordered test first. Also, he said that if the cancer is back, that there is some experimental drug (dont know the name right now) that is used for lung cancer. Does anyone know the name? or anything about that drug?

Also, when is "time" for a feeding tube? My mom blends her food...IT takes a while..I help her when I am there. Then she sips a couple sips and then runs and takes her liquid morphine because of the pain. She has lost over a 100 pounds and I am worried that she should get a feeding tube. Whenever it is discussed with her, she says no. I dont want to take any dignity from her or insist on anything she doesnt want. It just seems so painful for her to try to eat. Is there a time that a PEG tube should be suggested?

Also, my mom has a fistula dripping under her chin and ulcerated lips. does anyone know of this or experienced this themselves or of a family member? Is there anything that can be done or relief? Also, is there a mouth rinse to help with the pain besides the liquid morphine?

I know I had read before about a baking soda rinse. Is that only for cleanliness? Is there something for the pain and infection in her lips/mouth?

I am just so frustrated watching my mom suffer and feeling like there is nothing I can do. She has been my best friend for so many years and I feel so helpless at times. I am doing what I can do but my mom is suffering. So, I am asking you, my friends in here if anyone knows of anything that could help and when a feeding tube is considered "necessary". thank you again
Much Love,
Stephany

Stephany.Daughter of mother who passed away 3/26/05 from Recurrent Gum Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She had 3 surgeries, and 6 weeks radiation, and then passed due to infection. I miss her very much. She was 65 years young when she passed. Love you Mom!