Thanks everybody for your posts.
I had the surgery at MD Anderson 9/28/2015-they did a neck dissection on the left side with a chest flap. I didn't think I had that much chest muscle but the surgeon said I did. The surgery was about 5 and 1/2 hours. The surgeon wanted to do a mandibulectomy on the right side because of ORN in the right posterior mandible. However, I expressed some questions about the surgery and he did not want to do the mandibulectomy because of my ambivalence. I am not sure about the mandibulectomy. The plastic surgeon did not want to do a reconstruction of the fibula to the right side of the jaw because it would be "too heroic". I guess that is because of the surgery and radiation I had prior-70 gray, hemiglossectomy with a right wrist flap, right neck dissection. In the left neck dissection, 27 nodes were taken out. One of the nodes was cancerous with slight extracapsular spread. They are ready to do 23 radiation treatments. They did 12 gray of intraoperative radiation. The total will be 46 Gray of radiation. I am not looking forward to having more radiation, but I guess this "cleans out" the region where there might be some "worrisome" nodes.

Last edited by JPT68; 10-07-2015 02:10 PM.

4-2014 SCC BOT rt. 2 nodes
6-2014-8-2014 Baylor Sammons Dallas,
70 gy. Carboplatin Taxol
Peg tube 5/2014-present
biopsy(10/2014) mucoepidermoid carcinoma-not SCC.
11/10/2014 M.D. Anderson radical neck dissection hemiglossectomy flap rt. lower arm
1/2015 3xs-CDDP DOCATAXEL
2/2015 CT clear- ORN right jaw.
8/2015 CT. Lt. neck two nodes,right jaw ORN worsening. Biopsy- MEC.
Surgery 9/28/2015 lt. neck dissection-remove nodes and chest flap resection. Rt. jaw dead bone removal.