This has turned into a very information discussion. Brian, thank you for your very knowledgeable input!

In light of the equal opportunity layer of blame theme this post has turned into, let's not forget that not all pathologists are created equal.

I found out the hard way! I had surgery #1 at a small local hospital and my biopsy slides were reviewed by the pathologist on staff. I was given the all clear. Well I found out months later that he "misread" my biopsy slides, and in one of them there was actually cancer at the margins.

This lead to months of doctor appointments (2nd & 3rd opinions), multiple scans and tests, and many sleepless nights. The recommended opinions started with more surgery and RT, to the final 2 options - RT alone or "watchful waiting". Surgery was ruled out by the doctors I consulted at this time.

I ruled out the "watchful waiting" option - just felt I needed to do something! So off to get fitted for my radiation mask and started the 7 weeks of RT. Looking back now and being now a more knowledgeable patient thanks in part to OCF, I'm not so sure I made the right choice.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)