This discussion reminds me of a question - Professionals along the way have asked if our general dentist found my husband's lesion (BOT). He did not.

My husband had typical sudden appearance of enlarged, non-painful, cervical lymph node. Examined by Primary Care Physician and needle biopsy was performed the same week, after general surgeon in same office, was brought in to examine the node. Fortunately, the general surgeon was immediately suspicious of SCC based on presentation alone.

After positive results and CT, referred to oncologist & ENT. When scoped in office by ENT, lesion was not visualized. Another scope under anesthesia, still not visualized. Random biopsies obtained based on CT which picked up the tumor location.

My question - is it possible that the tumor was that deep that even under anesthesia it was not found? I ask in part because because we later found out that this ENT was not experienced in cancer (per above discussion) and we changed to one trained at MD Anderson.

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016