Ask for a prescription for magic mouthwash. It will help numb the mouth sores for a little while, long enough to make eating easier. The best thing you can do for yourself to to control your intake. Every single day take in a minimum of 2500+ calories and 48-64+ oz of water. You can ask your doc for a prescription to get hydrated a couple times per week in the chemo lab. This will help you avoid dehydration and feeling even worse.

I wish I could say it will get easier but unfortunately it will get progressively harder. The worst will be the first 2/3 weeks after you have finished rads.

Check out some other posts about acupuncture. Several members have had mixed results. It might be wise to wait until you have begun to recover before you try it.

You are not a whiner! You are among friends who have been there and understand what you are going thru. Its not easy! Try taking it day by day without thinking too far into the future. The "what if's" will make the whole thing even harder.

Ask your doc or dentist for a different flouride prescription. You should push to use the flouride trays every single day. Radiation is very hard on the teeth, you want to try to avoid bigger issues down the road.

Hang in there!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy