So - I had a partial glossectomy and neck dissection on March 25th, the margin wasn't what was expected so they recommended radiation treatment. 33 treatments in total, and I was forewarned that it would be uncomfortable, and towards the end very difficult.

But I am really 'down' now, I am finding it very uncomfortable - my mouth has lots of sores, my tongue is a mess and I feel like I have strep throat. I am only 1/3 of the way there and will be 'whining' to my oncologist tomorrow but I am just not sure how I will get through until July 4th. I was using the fluoride trays at night, but found it was burning my mouth so badly, the dentist has told me that I can discontinue.

I am rinsing my mouth out hourly and carry flat club soda around with me to hydrate my mouth. Am going to try acupuncture... I wish I could be one of the positive Penny type people but right now I feel really bummed out and am wondering why I even signed up for this. It is to reduce the chance of cancer recurrence, and I get the benefits but...

I know for many of you that have faced far more trying circumstances, I must seem like quite a whiner, but I was never blessed with an amazing pain tolerance and this is very frustrating for me!

Plus my energy level is just the pits - I am not working, but have no stamina or endurance to do things I enjoy doing or things that I should do.

Age 48, Rabid non-smoker, Mom, horse lover
Diagnosed SCC Feb 11/14
CT Scan showed three larger than normal lymph nodes
Partial Gloss & SND Mar 25, 2014
Nodes Clear/ 3mm margin / RADs recommended
Began RADs May 20, 2014 (30 in total) ENDED June 30th