Six Weeks Post Treatment - Another week of improvement. It will again be a busy day tomorrow, so this is written the night before.

Taste - pretty much returned. I can taste everything and now all throughout the meal. This is wonderful as eating is again enjoyable. I haven't tried that cheeseburger yet, but will likely do so next week.

Mucositis - is gone, at least for now. Will it ever return, who knows, but for now it's not a concern.

Rope mucous - I don't know if that's what I have. The symptom is my uvula and area going up into nasal cavity feels like it's coated in glue and allowed to dry every morning when I get up. A salt water baking soda gargle and a shot of nasal saline up each nostril and it starts to clear. Horrible, nasty looking snot starts to release and exit via hack and spit. In 30 minutes or so it's pretty much all out for the day. If it persists a Mucinex tablet gets used. This problem has never blocked my sinuses making breathing through my nose a problem. Breathing has alays been normal.

Weight - is stable at 200; I'm having to watch my intake to keep weight off. So I concentrate on what I do eat being healthy, veggies, protein, avoid too many sweets and empty carbs.

Dry mouth - half dozen times a day, a sip of water takes care of it. I keep a gatorade bottle of water on my desk and in my car, always available.

Saliva production - is back to normal. I know that kinda contradicts my dry mouth remark, but I have no problem with dry mouth while eating.

Hair loss - no improvement over last week. What I did notice is the neck skin adjacent to where tonsil was (and radiation was at max) is baby smooth and all whiskers gone. I never have to shave that area anymore.

Guys, I'm way luckier than I deserve for recovery to be going this well. I only hope it could be this way for everyone.

Going dancing on Saturday, see you all next week.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good