End of week 1 - I finished radiation 7 days ago. Here is an update of what's going on. One reason for doing these weekly posts is to help others gauge where they are in post treatment.

Mucositis - have had it for two weeks, it isn't really getting any better. I have to use lidocaine about every hour and before all meals. Tonight I had to use it again during the meal, as the chicken and rice soup just seemed to wash it away. Someone mentioned something that made me think my dental hygiene needs to be raised up a notch, so I doubled my efforts about teeth brushing after every meal & snack and just in case the toothbrush is a source of reinfection, I now soak it in a bleach water solution between uses. I also use the chlorhexidine gluconate more often.

Neck sunburn - it's getting better every day, though I still use the Aquaphor frequently. I will continue to use it until skin color returns to normal. I credit Aquaphor with helping me avoid any serious burns or skin sores during radiation.

Rope mucous - I have it pretty good every morning when I get up. Gargling with warm water (no salt, it burns the tongue) loosens it up enough that I can hack and spit a dozen or so times and clear my throat enough to make it through the day. Fortunately I have no throat burn, so hacking and spitting is not painful and I have no problem swallowing.

Diet - I am still pretty much on Ensure only. It's creamy and smooth and it goes down easily. That soup tonight wasn't really worth the effort, and it probably didn't have the nutrition that Ensure does anyway. But, sometimes you just want something different.

Weight - lost a couple of pounds during the week, so I bought a digital scale to monitor my daily weight. Energy level is still good enough to continue dancing regularly, though I do need one good nap every afternoon. Am sleeping well at night.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good