I finished radiation last Friday (27th). If you haven't read my treatment thread, radiation went very smoothly for me, very few side effects. Since then the mucositis has worsened to sores on both sides of the tongue. Thank goodness the VA sent me an extra 300ml bottle of oral lidocaine. Swishing that around in my mouth is what gets me through the day, particularly before eating.

I'm still pretty much on an Ensure Plus diet. Every once in awhile and if my mouth is sufficiently numbed I'll do one of the big cans of chicken noodle soup, or I can do scrambled eggs pretty regularly. I got brave stupid the other night and opened a can of gumbo, which about set me on fire, so down the drain it went. But, the Ensure has way more calories and nutrients, so I don't bother with the soup until I can't stand drinking another Ensure.

Other than that, rope mucous is pretty heavy. I hack and hack to get it out, thank goodness my throat isn't raw and I can swallow normally.

My energy level is good and I sleep well at night. So, I will definitely go to our dance clubs New Years Eve party tomorrow night.

Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 12-30-2013 07:46 AM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good