Cheryl, as Paul says, fighting may well be the thing that is helping him to keep some measure of control over the whole rough ride you are both on. Many survivors go through various stages of denial, fighting, acceptance, etc. and not in the same way or in the same order. The loss of a previous lifestyle is a definite loss and brings with it all manner of reactions for both of you. I think it must be hard for a man in particular to have to accept help or suggestions from someone else. When my son was going through Tx, he reached a point where nothing I tried to suggest had any effect. He had the attitude that I couldn't know what he was going through and if he couldn't figure things out, nobody could. ( He is super intelligent but I still have to remind him sometimes that somebody else may also have a good idea that he hasn't thought of yet.) What I did, was print out some of the suggestions from other posters here of things I thought he could benefit from and just leave them somewhere while he was sleeping (sort of accidentally) so that when he woke up and I was gone, he might be curious enough to look at them and decide for himself whether they were good ideas or not for him. This way it was not his mother telling him what to do. And it really worked! I could tell by his reaction afterwards that he had read the stuff. Cheryl, you know your husband best and and can probably decide where this might work. It's worth a try. If you do it while you are out taking a walk, or playing bingo, then he has time to think about it.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)