Thanks Cheryl,
It's really good to have a proper idea of what to expect.
Although it's quite a lengthy process, it seems, as you say, not too horrendous.
I'm impressed that you coped so well, given the added complication of the tongue graft.

We've found a solution to the visiting problem:
It would have taken 3 hours and cost 30GBP each way on the train via London but we've discovered that, by taking 2 buses each way, she can be there in 2 hours, and it won't cost anything with her Senior bus pass.
Visiting is allowed from 2-8pm, but she would have to leave at 5pm for the last bus, and wouldn't be able to do it at weekends, but she is happy with that, and very relieved.

I rang my Macmillan Nurses contact yesterday, and got a better description of my treatment program, which was good.
Then I had a call from the hospital - I can have my MRI scan today - they've had a cancellation. I'll still have to go back for my CT scan, but c'est la vie.
As I understand it, the MRI scan is of the head and neck where they're most likely to find something and the CT scan is of the chest and abdomen where it's less likely, so I guess this is the most important one to have done quickly.
The nurse said that, unless they find enlarged lymph nodes today, they won't need to do a neck dissection. Does that sound right?
Do they ever open up the neck and have a physical look, or remove nodes from the upper levels and test them just as a precaution when a cancer is known to be aggressive?

I'm so thankful to have found OCF and all you wonderful people. You're such an inspiration smile

HUGS

P.S. It must have taken a dozen attempts to make this post before I finally discoved it didn't like the 'pound' sign.

1990s: Oral Lichen Planus
Feb 2013: Persistent lateral tongue lesion
Jul 2013: Biopsy
Aug 2013: Diagnosis - T1N0SCC
Sep 10: Laser surgery to remove 1cm lesion with 1cm margin and biopsy of smaller second lesion further back
Sep 23: Tumour confirmed poorly differentiated & aggressive. Scans pending.