HI again... well a neck dissection will cause a few issues... what tina said is true there is minimal pain as the nerve damage causes numbness. Hopefully they will get you in for this very soon. The sooner it is done the soon you can start treatment - and with poorly differentiated cancer i would think that maybe they will recommend it.

That said - because they cut your muscle in your neck you will need physical therapy for your neck, shoulder and arm, if you follow through with the exercises you will regain good use again. (if you have a bilateral dissection, then you will have to work on both arms) If you have radiation after the dissection it causes things to tighten up. SO you will need to stretch.

You will also have lymphedema (swelling in your face and neck region. Once treatment is all over and you've had a clear scan and a few check ups, you can try lymphatic massage. Since the lymph moves throughout your body, you don't want to be spreading it until you know you are clean.

You shouldn't be in the hospital too long. since this is a second surgery and the least extensive. So I would tell your wife to stay home, and if you can bring an ipad and or a computer or cell phone and email or text her frequently. ;o)

maybe that will help. I would also maybe print off some of the messages from here to help her realize she's not on her own. best of luck and tell them to get their butts moving on the dissection.

;o)

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan