Gilb - I just wanted to chime in here as a (former) caregiver to my son. I know how terrifying it can be to have to face the thought of losing someone you love so much. It's good your daughter will be back soon. Just having someone else around can help to diffuse the tension for Von and give her something else to do or think about. Maybe you could give Von some jobs to do like picking up prescriptions, or shop for things you need at a store, certain foods you like or that she can prepare for you or any outside activity. Perhaps your daughter can think of some things she needs her Mom to do for or with her. Doing something else and being active can bring some relief from thinking about what you are both facing. Once a plan was underway in my son's treatment and I had several things that needed doing, I felt more in control and things went a lot better. For me, being very, very busy kept me from thinking too much about all the "what ifs". You will both get through this. It's a tough road but it is doable and you have lots of compassionate and knowledgeable people here to help you every step of the way.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)