Alpaca,
I think that all of us who survive the diagnosis and treatments expect "the other shoe to drop" for a good while after we are "cured". I know that I felt that way for a couple of years. But after surviving 8 years, I now think of myself as a regular, healthy person and, even if it is a bit naive, I no longer expect anything bad to happen, and I live my life just like the other people around me,worrying about retirement, etc. It is amazing how many "healthy" people I have already outlived.

Funny enough, I have had just the opposite reaction than you have experienced. People come up to me and ask "how are you doing?" When I say "very well" or "just fine", they look into my eyes, and with a very sincere expression, ask again, something like, "are you really okay?". Then I assure them that yes, I am fine.
So, I guess some folks expect you to act like you are "cured" and have that legendary "positive attitude" that all non-cancer survivors think is so important and that we are all supposed to have, and others think that we are dead men walking, living on borrowed time.

In any case, it is great to be a survivor, even for those of us who feel at times a lot more like humbug than Pollyanna!

Take care

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.