Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Yes, Brian, I know how you feel. In my job, we pretty much knew, from day to day, where the VC or RVN were, thus we knew where our troops were targeting and inserting.

I was fortunate enough to put the war as behind me as I could. My brother, not so lucky. He spent his life on the street. I spend mine with DoD and USCBP. I sometimes wonder what my legacy will be, if any. Yours is right here in these forums. Thanks for founding this group of folks who, in my book, are the salt of the earth. One could be cynical about the purity of the human race until they share in this forum and see the goodness in the folks who come together here in a sad brotherhood and sisterhood.

I'm cannot honestly say I believe in heaven and hell but if there is a heaven, you will get your reward there.....

John Retired US Government (DoD)
SCC/BOT discovered neck mass 11/08
Removed neck mass 09/01/09
Final Diagnosis after scoping on 02/08/09
Chemotherapy and Radiation: Paclitaxel and Carboplatin, 8 weeks of chemo (1X weekly) and daily radiation both sides of neck). First treatment 03/02/09

My husband was in Nam in 1966-67 and was in the areas heavily sprayed with Agent Orange. He bathed in it and drank it and no pill to make your drinking water safe would probably makes it safe. He was contacted by the Marine Corp years ago and is listed on the Agent Orange registry. His oncologist seems certain that AO is the cause of his BOT cancer since my husband never smoked and barely drank. I don't know if they checked for HPV when they did the biopsy but since I just tested negative for HPV I would doubt that this is the problem. And no he doesn't mess around. So I believe AO could definitely be the cause, look at the onset dates of cancer for all of you. Coincidence?

Last edited by jimorpam; 07-20-2009 11:40 AM. Reason: misspell

Diagnosed 05/09
PET clear 05/09 has not spread to lymph nodes
39 radiation scheduled, 8 completed
Cisplatin & Taxotere, 2 months scheduled, 1st & 2nd treatments finished
SCC Basaloid Features, BOT, T2M0N0 G3/3
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I was in Viet Nam (Marine Corps) 1966-67 but my primary cancer was on my tonsil with mets to lymphs. I have a list from the VA of 11 medical conditions associated with agent orange including all forms of leukemia, soft tissue sarcoma other than osteosarcoma chondrosarcoma Kaposi's sarcoma or mesothelioma, Hodgkin's diseasem, multiple myeloma, respiratory cancers inc. lung, bronchus, larynx and trachea, non Hodgkin's lymphoma and prostate cancer. Trying to make a claim for any other cancer would be a tough battle.
Best of luck in your battle with cancer and with the VA if you pursue that.

Last edited by Deejer47; 07-20-2009 12:59 PM.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

With a 70% chance that HPV is the cause for SCC of the BOT or Tonsils, I would recommend one get tested for HPV before I searched for other unproven causes.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

My husband had bot and one of my first thoughts was about the possible contribution of agent orange. Like many of you, I did some research on it but didn't find much. My husband also started smoking when he was in Vietnam so this seemed the more likely culprit. This weekend the Chicago Tribune published a special feature entitled "Agent Orange a Lethal Legacy" on the effects of agent orange. They have an interactive map which shows the spraying missions by year, month and location. It was quite disturbing to see that my husband was there in 1969 in a location where the spraying occurred. I was curious if others on this site had seen any association between oral cancer and agent orange and found this thread. I thought I would post this info for those who are still interested.

Base of tongue spread to 2 lymph nodes.stg?? Dx 5/5/09 peg
Tx started with 35 rad, 7 weeks cisplatin, 2 weeks 5-fu.
completed second course of tx with reduced dose of cisplatin &
5-fu. All clear
Post radiation swallowing difficulties 12 years later
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members