Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96216 05-28-2009 07:31 AM
mundace Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear All,

This is my fist post and would beg your indulgence if am not doing this right.

My dad just had his second surgery for the removal of a tumor which is deemed a recurrence from an earlier wide resection of a floor of the mouth CA ( june2007)

This recent procedure , done some 4 weeks back, removed some 11cm of his mandible and the area around it. A titanium plate was installed and a pectoral flap was made for reconstruction.

So far, healing seems OK (despite chemo / rad of the area some 18 months back). My concern , however, is that he still CANT swallow - not even his saliva. The surgeons say that they have have kept the tongue intact and the nerves as well. Thus they see no reason why dad shoudnt be able to "re-learn" his swallowing faculties. BTW, he can move his tongue up and down, sideways a bit but can fully extend it outwards. also noted a bit of a tongue slant towards the resected area of the mouth. His speech is garbled but some words are recognizable.

Due to his inability to swallow, he was on an NGT till this morning when a PEG was finally inserted as feeding replacement to ease the irritation of the NGT. Speech/Tonge Therapy sessions are due to start next week.

Am here seeking your views, experiences and suggestions on this worrying issue. Is this non-ability to swallow normal? if not, cant it still be regained? how long will the rehab take?

grateful for your help -

Mundace

"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Mundace

Sorry to hear that your dad is going through all of this. The appointment you mention that your dad has with the speech therapist next week is where his ability to swallow will probably be assessed.

If there are swallowing issues the speech therapist will organise for a test to be done in a controlled environment so they can monitor his ability to swallow. Swallowing incorrectly can cause problems so if he is having trouble a professional person should definitely be there to assist him.

From my experience following my surgeries it can take many weeks for swelling to go down which swelling in itself causes difficulties.

The speech therapist is definitely the person to help your dad. Good luck with the appointment next week

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
mundace Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks a lot karen for your revert - most appreciated. Dad started therapy sessions and we are hopeful that he can soon swallow.

best regards!

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Mundance,

My sister lost most of her ability to swallow, but not like your dad, after surgery). Her tumor was on the carotid artery, and as it grew she began to lose her ability to swallow. Can't help you with advice on your dad's recovery of his swallowing ability, hope the physical therapy is successful. My sister found having a portable suction machine made it so much easier for her to deal with her inability to swallow. Especially when she was going through radiation. It was helpful when she vomited too. The PEG will be a lifesaver, until he learns to swallow again. My best wishes to you both,

Nancy

Caregiver to sister Connie, dx 2005, scc tongue, 4 surgeries inc. radical left side neck dissection 7/06, 35 IMRT, and 7 cisplatin 2/07, passed away 8-11-07, 51 yrs. young, fought with courage, strength and grace, found peace on her new journey.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23