Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hallred Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, glad I found this site. I am 30 yrs old, female, pretty healthy, and was diagnosed last month with Low-Grade Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma. I am still recovering from my latest surgery, and found out at my check-up yesterday that the DR. found a different tumor while he was cutting out the first one. They got them both, and all of my margins were clear, but now I am even more freaked out. Has anyone had any experience with this? And do you know of any sites that where I can do some research? Thanks for your help.

Diagnosed with Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the hard palate Apr 2009. Surgery May 2009. CT scan was clear, waiting for 2nd opinion.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I see our leader Brian Hill is online, I bet he will help you .Heck, he knows as much or more that some MDs.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I have MEC also. I am a 68 yr old female who was diagnosed in early 2009. I have had 2 surgeries and am getting ready to start 6 1/2 weeks of radiation therapy next week. My cancer was in the Rt Sub-mandibular gland. I recently learned they found 4 areas in the upper neck tissue from my Neck Dissection that were cancer. They were small tumors. Everyone was surprised to find the other 4. These 4 did not show on the CT. That makes a total of 5 tumors for me.

This site has excellent information on MEC.Use the search on the bottom of the Home Page and the search on this page. Top Rt hand side. Hope this helps. Our cancer is listed as a rare cancer so its always nice to find somebody with the same type.

Sweetpea
2/09 MEC Rt Submandibular Gland,Tumor Exc,age 68; 4/09 Rt Neck Resect, Excise Rt Lingual Nerve, 10 nodes; 1 month later- Lge Abscess Drained 5/09; 4 more cancers, final path report; 6/09 IMRTx33
hallred Offline OP
OP Offline

SweetPea, I'm sorry to hear it has spread to your neck. Best of luck with the radiation. My doctor seems really laid back about this whole thing. I had a CT scan, it didn't show any cancer in the bones or in the lympth nodes, but I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion, just to be sure??? My doctor is an ENT and a neck/throat oncologist. He just wants to see me twice a year for a check-up. Does anyone know of a scan that would show if there were more tumors in the roof of my mouth? Since mine was in the soft palate (roof) of my mouth, I have read there is less chance of spreading, but I know it's possible. I am just hoping that this is the end of cancer for me, but I worry that it's not.

Diagnosed with Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the hard palate Apr 2009. Surgery May 2009. CT scan was clear, waiting for 2nd opinion.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

A second opinion sounds like a good idea to me .Two different tumours sounds like perhaps the opinion of a cancer centre might be prudent.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Oftentimes it appears to me that we are reluctant to seek other opinions for fear we may offend someone. These people are just as human and prone to be stuck with their opinions as we are in our own respective careers. Hell I recommend my tax clients seek other opinions over something as trivial as tax consequences. An estimated 10% of my practice is correcting other "experts" mistakes. Here we are often talking about one's life and at a minimum life altering side effects so do yourself a huge favor and seek all the opinions you need to satisfy yourself that you are doing the best you can to deal with your situation.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
hallred Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I am going to call another DR today for a 2nd opinion, just to ease my worries at least. I forgot to mention that my cancer is in the roof of my mouth, which I've heard is way better than the tongue or throat, but I'm still worried because there were 2 tumors. And I've read that they can be caused from the HPV virus. Does that show on the pathology report? I don't think mine would be, but who knows? I think it would be important to find out for sure. Thanks again for all your comments.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

It's my understanding that HPV status would show up in a pathology report only if the tumor samples were specifically tested for the virus. That said, I believe that every person here whose tumor was HPV+ had his or her cancer at the base of the tongue. For head and neck cancers, I don't believe it has been identified as a causative factor for SCC tumors in any other location (e.g., mobile tongue, cheek, etc.), and I don't know whether it's been linked to MEC.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

So far HPV has only been associated with Oral Cancer in the Oropharynx region which is primarily the Base of Tongue and the Tonsils. HPV is associated with over 70% of the cancers originating from that region in the Squamous cells, hence Squamous Cell Carcinoma and no other oral region. There is only one way to be tested and that is to have your cancer cells sent to a HPV testing facility.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

What we know now http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/rare/mc/index.htm

HPV16 has not been associated with this type of carcinogenesis.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics