Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Has anyone had an exam by this name before? Just curious what it involves and if it is recommended. I had my annual heart echo exam today for leaking aortic valve monitoring that I have had for several years. When the topic came up regarding OC and my 2006 treatment my Cardiologist wanted me to schedule for the carotid duplex procedure in his office. I'm told that it is a way to check on potential artery blockage that can result from radiation to head/neck area. Just wondering if it is a worthwhile procedure?

Thanks,

Bill Dozier

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I had mine biopsied but nothing else. It has me wondering now , or should I say your question does.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I've had a it several times. It's not big deal, just an ultrasound of your arteries. A common by-product of their exposure to radiation is the formation of scar tissue n them, reducing blood flow to the brain. This scar tissue can become a problem, but not like occlusion of the carotids by plaques (from a life of eating to many fats and having high blood lipids) that can break off and cause a stroke. It is a permanent thickening of the wall, and isn't going to get better - nor have a small portion break off causing strokes. But it in some cases it causes the need for a shunt to have to be placed in them to open the area up. I am about 50% occluded, enough where I can get dizzy getting up too quickly or pulling too many G's in my airplane. It started getting worse ironically about year 7. I don't care for the data on coated inserts, nor uncoated ones, so I am living with things the way they are.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Now I got it. My bnrother in law just hade stents put in his. The blockage was well into the danger zone. HIs was from bad food.He had his 3 month check up today amd goes back to Pittsburgh in 6 months for the next check.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

The test is very easy, painless. Just an ultrsound. My Dr said after a year or so after all treatments are completed he always checks the Carotid because of the rad. According to him it is std precautuionary. He will do again after 3 yrs he siad it was a worthwhile endeaver so far he and the board have been on spot on everything so I normally listen and obey.

Bill Van Horn-53 ex-smoker, social drinker, Biopsy 8/24, Diagnosed 8/30/07 BOT T2N2-B MX Stage IV. Started treatments 10/1/07. IMRT 35 x, Cisplatin - 3 cycles - completed treatment 11/16/07. CT Scans on 1/15/08 all clear Selective neck dissection 1/28/08. All nodes clear.

The test is nothing. Takes about 15 minutes. I had to have my carotid artery stented last year as it was over 90% occluded. Fought with the first hospital because apparently a neurologist study says that stenting in FEMALES produces no better results than doing nothing, but the cardiologist told me the study was flawed because they didn't have enough women in the study. Asked for a second opinion and landed at another hosptial that treats patients not statistics. Very glad I did because they also discovered another blockage in my right iliac artery that was causing me leg pain. Had both carotid and iliac stented and am doing fine. If you looked at the before and after pictures of my carotid, you would wonder how I made it around. One can live with total blockage of one of the carotids UNTIL the other starts blocking. Then you are in deep trouble. This is what killed my father. I didn't want to go there. Have the test. It seems to be a lot cheaper in the doctors office than it is at a hospital but if you have insurance, that shouldn't be a problem.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Did you all get this done as per your ENT or GP and who initiated it? No one has suggested this for me.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

My Rad Dr has this test as part of the Std after after Rad care. He schedules about 1 yr after completion of RAD treatmernts and at 3 yr post Rad. As I go to CCC my ENT is aware of and supports

Bill Van Horn-53 ex-smoker, social drinker, Biopsy 8/24, Diagnosed 8/30/07 BOT T2N2-B MX Stage IV. Started treatments 10/1/07. IMRT 35 x, Cisplatin - 3 cycles - completed treatment 11/16/07. CT Scans on 1/15/08 all clear Selective neck dissection 1/28/08. All nodes clear.

My GP picked up a 'gurgling' sound in my carotid on one of my routine 3 monthly checkups for BP. He ordered the first test I had which occurred in his office. I think that showed 70% blockage. A follow up with a cardiovascular surgeon a year later showed 99% blockage. That's when I went for the stent. I have a follow up scan scheduled for June which is 10 months post stenting.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311