Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#90812 02-27-2009 07:45 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

So, a while ago I posted about what I thought was an allergic reaction to the medicine I was taking to raise my blood pressure. So, I stopped the medication right away (the rash happened the first time I took the meds) and the rash kept coming about once a week or once every two weeks. So, when I went and saw my RO I finally got some answers (my ENT and endocrinologist were baffled). And then I forgot about it all together and the rashes were becoming less frequent and I never updated on here as to what the cause was! So here you go!

After a long discussion with my RO, who I'm pretty sure thinks I'm really a five year old based on how many times I interrupted him during our discussion with more questions, I found out that my rash is actually a common after effect. Basically what is happening is that anything that increases the metabolic rate in my head and neck, increases the amount of lymphatic fluid in the area and since my lymphatic system is not back up to par yet, the fluid just sits there causing there red itchy hive-like annoyance that is a rash. Basically it can be an after effect from radiation, or from surgery, but he said in my case since I had both, I drew two short sticks! (those are my words, not his...he had a much nicer way of putting it). For me, the culprit is usually sunshine, but I'm beginning to think that the space heater in my office causes it as well. When I asked my RO about what to do, he basically told me that common sense would tell you to avoid whatever causes the rash. Basically now I just keep up with the UV index and try and limit my time outside. So there you have it!

Oh yeah, and the reason I thought about posting this now is because I broke out in a rash yesterday - just in time for friends to come in to town this weekend to visit! Yippee!

Stephanie, 23, SCC on the right side of my tongue, surgery on 5-19-08, over half my tongue removed, free flap constructed from my forearm, bilateral neck dissection, one positive node. Radiation (32) and chemo (carboplatin) started on 6-16-08. Recurrence 4/09 in lungs.

**** Stephanie passed away 12.15.09.... RIP our dear friend****

sobradley #90826 02-27-2009 11:34 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You are so young that maybe it's the rash teens get. I can tell it must bother you. but you are a fighter. Just kidding about the teen thing.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users