Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Cookey Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

when i posted this article i never expected to see so many closet listerine users coming out of the woodwork lol.

My next question is how long has this information been available?The news reports on Robins case headlines the fact that in May 2007 his dentist told him to treat his toungue lesion by using Listerine(the inference being that this was like taking a plaster to treat a severed limb).Robin was a smoker and a heavy drinker,a fact the dentist didnt even bother to enquire about,which was noted at the time of the enquiry.It would seem if this report holds any water that this advice was akin to asking him to hold a hand grenade and pull the pin.

Am i right or am i just plain addled?

a very very angry liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Ray,

The last thing any of us needs to to 2nd guess ourselves so please let it go (said in a nice friendly caring non combatant way).

Since the late 60's early 70's when we, the American Public, first heard that tobacco COULD BE harmful I just find it amazing, especially today that it is still legal. Believe me I know it's all political from my lobbying days. Imagine if someone tried to smoke this new thing called tobacco today. Every person in the U.S. would be all over it and it would be declared illegal within a year.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I can see the article's point of view that Listerine can damage cells so that a carcinogen can grab hold and plant it's seed to grow and cause chaos. If ACM's was the main culprit for causing OC I think there would be a lot more of us. Listerine and other ACM's have been around a long long time and if they are the culprit then why not a lot of young OC cases 20, 30 or 40 years ago? Is it a combination of ACM's and viruses, smoking, drinking or other known carcinogens? I don't know, I'm not a scientist. The study proved that it has to be looked at closer by other scientists and studies and I'm sure it's happening.

My grandmother did not smoke, drink, or use Listerine and her and my grandfather had been together for almost 60 years, and her tongue cancer was supposedly caused by a rough tooth. I had a tooth rubbing my tongue and use to get those mouth ulcers, I also held that cell phone to my left ear and averaged 2500 to 6000 minutes a month(every month) and I used Listerine and I drank once a week--they're not sure what caused my cancer but I have suspects. A lot of OC has been proven that viruses was the culprit. We all know what smoking and heavy drinking does to the body.

A healthy person with no risk factors getting OC strictly from using a ACM as directed in the instructions? I don't see it...I don't think our bodies are that weak.

We abuse ourselves and don't listen to great advice or instructions and we all want to blame someone or something for our cancer(s)...whether it's OC or any other type. I think we all know who the real culprit is...it's us...it's humans and the way we live in this world. We have to look at ourselves in the mirror and realize who is accountable.

Liz--I understand your anger...I have a mother with emphysema that continues on smoking to this day...My mother will NOT stop SMOKING...When she dies from this I am not going to be angry with the cigarette company...However, I am MAD at my MOTHER and I will be mad at her when she dies...she knows the cigs are killing her. She's an addict that doesn't want to stop. My step-father had two strokes 5 years ago and he continues on smoking...I'm mad at him too...They know the risks...they know what's going to happen...My grandfather on my dad's side died at 83--his cancer was caused by years of alcohol abuse. He always thought he was going to die young so he told me he made a decision to say the hell with it I'm going to eat, drink and do what I want...My grandfather was lucky he wasn't bitten until he was 83...We all have mirrors.

We all cheat in life and some get away with it and live a very long time...But most of us get caught...some sooner then others. And some of us get second chances and continue on cheating...it's life...we're only human and we all have mirrors.

Only children and animals are innocent the rest of us are guilty.

Last edited by Ray1971; 01-16-2009 06:39 AM.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better

Ray

...[quote]My mother will NOT stop SMOKING...When she dies from this I am not going to be angry with the cigarette company...However, I am MAD at my MOTHER and I will be mad at her when she dies...[/quote]

You have given some really good sage advice in posts about not letting anger overwhelm our chance to "walk tall" and make the best of this bad situation in the way we live our lives. Ask yourself: Is being mad at my Mom how I want to relate to her? Sometimes it is us who need to change when those we Love won't.
I was Sad when my Mom died, and I still miss her every day even though it was eight years ago. What I would not give to see her again, even if it was with her faced wreathed in cigarette smoke as usual (she smoked from 14 until they put her on oxygen). Like the radio ads here in DC area say disingenuously: "Not a sermon, just a thought"

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Thank you Charm...I stopped arguing with my mother and other loved ones to stop smoking a long time ago...I still ask them to quit but I won't argue with them. I love them all very much and the anger I hold is inside...I know it's not healthy for me...But I love them too much...it's hard. And I had those same thoughts as you...the day I don't see or can't talk to any of my loved ones and all their faults will be very sad...we're lucky to have felt this love...some people never do

What do they say?....love hurts

heck i still think about all my animals i've had in my life...i even think about a couple of old GF's!!! LOL...LOL...I hope Kelly never sees this!! LOL...LOL

life is hard...but i'm glad i'm living it...it's a good one

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi,
I read about the risk of cancer linked to Listerine and alcohol based mouthwashes in the free Metro paper in the UK. It was a surprise to me, and when I got home I got rid of my listerine.
It seems that it is old news though.
It is strange though, no one ever mentioned it at the hospital.
I have found some alcohol free mouthwashes now, and they taste just as nice. But who knows what they will say about those in a few years?

Girlfriend to Martin 49 years old at diagnosis
Diagnosed with SCC unknown primary June 2008.
Cancer found in single node Stage N2A (3 to 6cm).
Tonsilectomy 16th june, Radical modified neck dissection left side 30th june.
30 TX radiotherapy ended 9th October
First comparative study scan came back clear
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320