Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Markus #87172 01-02-2009 07:41 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Yeah kinda like going thru an orange stop light.

Hey at least I'm trying to get you a back door color enhanced promotion!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #87176 01-02-2009 08:45 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

David what colors are they if you are color blind??!!??!!

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
darkeyedlady0 #87188 01-02-2009 02:23 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Whatever colors you want them to be I guess?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #87261 01-03-2009 10:33 PM
Geri Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, Richard starts treatment Mon and we are both relieved to finally get going, but apprehensive about side-effects from chemo. The side-effects from radiation seem pretty uniform for everyone, but the reaction to chemo seems to vary with each individual. It's the unexpected that is so disconcerting.
Does anyone have recommendations as to what to eat a couple of hours ahead of time? I'll fill the anti-nausea meds while Richard is having the chemo and he will take them regularly so as to stay ahead of any nausea. I thought about a small amount of oatmeal, crackers and yogurt for snacks and plenty to drink. Are sports drinks and plain water a good choice? What about some peppermint-cinnamon tea? These seem like good choices and easy on the stomach.
All I can think of is that his body is going to be poisoned. I know it's a war and that at this point in time, this particular treatment is the weapon to kill the cancer. It all seems so barbaric. Do you think one day they will be able to use the body's own immune system to rid itself of the cancer cells? Why does the treatment have to be so brutal on the healthy cells? Almost 40yrs ago, my mother had a cancerous lump in her neck and they used radiation then. She had side-effects, but survived and died of other causes. The radiation is so much more sophisticated now, but still radiation.
I'm sorry to vent because we are very thankful to have a positive prognosis, but if I was a conspiracy nut, I would think the drug companies and the powers that be aren't making as much progress as they should be. Because of better treatment options many people with a cancer diagnosis are living longer, which shows progress, but they still aren't able to find a way to spur the immune system to heal it's self. Thanks for all the feedback so far and any thoughts or information would be appreciated. Geri

Geri-CG to husband Richard, 62 yrs old. Former smoker, quit 30yrs ago, light drinker. Dx after tests with BOT T1N1M0. Tx to start by end of Dec. Seven wks IMRT with 2x Cisplatin-2x Erbitux. Peg in 12/08- removed 4/21/09. Looking good so far. Clear Pet &MRI 8/2/09
Geri #87268 01-04-2009 05:42 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I have used the term barbaric to describe this Tx many many times. I didn't worry about surviving the cancer as much as I did surviving the Tx. The rad starts off slowly with the first few weeks a physical non event. As more sessions are had the rad seems to get worse and worse until it's side effects tail off several weeks POST Tx. The chemo's, usually Cisplatin, main side effect is nausea but if it is given in weekly doses, it can make it much more tolerable than the 3 big doese many of us had. Each of us can have different reactions during Tx so lets hope his are on the milder side.

David

davidcpa #87270 01-04-2009 07:47 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Geri:

Best of luck to both you and your husband tomorrow. If you already have the prescriptions from the doctor, you may want to get them filled now. I was given some of my anti-nausea pills right before the chemo was given to me. The side effects do vary from patient to patient with not just chemo but also radiation. Some patients sail thru it so easily without many side effects and some greatly suffer. I do think alot of this depends on hydration and nutrition. The more water he drinks the better.

Tomorrow will be a long day bring a book, magazines, cards, puzzle books or hand held games. Where I went, they had nice reclining chairs with warm blankets and tv's. They also came around with food and fed everyone snacks, drinks and lunch including the caregivers. Nutrition is a huge thing during chemo/rad treatments.

It really wont matter too much what your husband eats if the nasuea gets away from him. If he can tolerate a nice steak, a pizza or a chicken dinner let him have it, the more the better. In a couple weeks his mouth will get sore and eating wont be easy, things will taste bad and burn his mouth. Food texture will play a big part in if he can eat things. Honestly, you may want to save the oatmeal and yogurt for those times which are coming. His food choices will become very limited and you dont want him to hate pudding and yogurt now before he needs it daily.

Thru this ordeal, please always remember to have your husband chew and swallow something a few times per day everday. Also to stretch his mouth open as wide as possible. Its very important to do these things to prevent worse problems from rad. down the road.

Again, hope tomorrow goes well for both of you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #87283 01-04-2009 05:26 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Geri, I have also referred to this tx as barbaric, not advanced medicine. A physician friend of mine had to make a decision regarding chemo for herself. She consulted an MD with advanced training in integrated/holistic/Eastern medicine. He told her that there is a Chinese saying: You have to fight poison with poison.

As Christine mentioned, we were told to fill prescriptions ahead of time, bring all the medicine with us, and nurses would direct us. Some meds are taken immediately before infusion starts. He had small amount of cold cereal & tea in AM, as usual.

My husband received IV steriods during chemo to help control symptoms. Nurses told us this would make him hungry and to eat anything that appealed to him. I went out to buy a turkey sandwich and he had no problem with it. The meds completely controlled the nausea.

The nursing staff and PAs were tremendously helpful with suggestions and support. Believe it or not, after the first chemo, I found the tx room relaxing. I trusted the staff and got a break from worrying about what needed to be done, as opposed to a trip to the hospital to change PEG, where I had to watch over everything. Lottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016
travelottie #87289 01-04-2009 07:26 PM
Geri Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for your responses. Does the amount of chemo or chemo drug combos depend on the diagnosis? The MO said Richard was only getting cisplatin and I've noticed that many people get a combo of drugs or induction. He wasn't prescribed any meds ahead of time and the nurse said they would be giving him anti-nausea drugs before the chemo. I'll pick up his prescription while he's in treatment. He has chemo the first, fourth, and seventh week.
I know we are in for some very difficult weeks ahead, but I'll be glad to have this first day done. I'm sure I'll be asking many more questions as time goes by. Travelottie, did your physician friend have her conventional treatment? Thanks , Geri

Geri-CG to husband Richard, 62 yrs old. Former smoker, quit 30yrs ago, light drinker. Dx after tests with BOT T1N1M0. Tx to start by end of Dec. Seven wks IMRT with 2x Cisplatin-2x Erbitux. Peg in 12/08- removed 4/21/09. Looking good so far. Clear Pet &MRI 8/2/09
Geri #87311 01-05-2009 08:01 AM

Geri,

Each chemo treatment consists of a cocktail of meds, not just the cisplatin. Bill's treatment ususally consisted of 8 - 10 bags of IV fluids and it usually took 4 or more hours to get thru all of those. Richard will receive antinausea meds, fluids to protect his kidneys, etc. Bill's list is as follows:

Aloxi, Potassium Chloride, Tagamet, Benadryl, Decadron,
Magnesium Sulfate, Lasix, Mannitol, Taxol, Cisplatin.

You will find that once the horror of the initial infusion day passes (I found myself squelching a scream that this could not be happening to us and holding back a major teary breakdown)that the infusion room is a place of hope and the nurses there so compassionate and helpful. They were our best allies for any questions and suggestions. Do ask them, they have seen it all. You will also probably be given samples of meds that can be used between treatments for nausea, diarrhea, etc.

Bill got to know several of the nurses there over the 8 weeks of treatment...he traded books with one and shared stories of family and hobbies. That was when he wasn't snoozing...that benadryl is one of the first meds they give you and it knocked him out so the first couple of hours went by in la-la-land.

Hugs as you start this journey - I know how you feel.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
debandbill #87314 01-05-2009 08:19 AM
Geri Offline OP
OP Offline

Deb, Thanks for your reply. Yikes! I didn't realize Richard might be getting a combo of drugs. The nurse told us 3-3/12 and then it's off to radiation. I'm sure they don't tell you everything, but our nurses seem very nice and compassionate. I'm trying to stay upbeat, relieved that we are starting, but dreading the next several weeks. We are at the mercy of our situation and the measure of our courage will be tested fully.
Thanks again for your input. It means a lot to hear from someone who has been through this. Write again if you have anymore info or helpful hints. Geri

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics