Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84998 11-28-2008 03:40 PM
Lee27 Offline OP
OP Offline

I am a five year survivor of stage IVa tonsil cancer. Two weeks ago i found a small lump in my armpit. Thought it would go away. It didn't. I checked the internet and it seems that swollen nodes that are hard and painless often indicate a malignancy. Can't get to my MD until monday and God knows when he can see me. Anyone familiar with this? Doesn't sound good to me. Lee27

Lee27 #85003 11-28-2008 04:48 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It can also indicate an infection, lymph nodes can become enlarged. Occasionally I had hard and enlarged lymph nodes under the armpit when I was a kid. Always a good idea to get it checked. A blood test to look for elevated WBC will also help confirm an infection.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Lee27 #85023 11-28-2008 07:55 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

[quote=Lee27]I am a five year survivor of stage IVa tonsil cancer. Two weeks ago i found a small lump in my armpit. Thought it would go away. It didn't. I checked the internet and it seems that swollen nodes that are hard and painless often indicate a malignancy. Can't get to my MD until monday and God knows when he can see me. Anyone familiar with this? Doesn't sound good to me. Lee27 [/quote]

Hi Lee27,

Back in July during a routine physical my doc visually noticed a swollen gland under my jaw (submandibular). I was aware of this gland as it had been growing larger for several years and was painless. Because it was painless I thought nothing of it. The doc felt otherwise and scheduled me for an ultrasound of the neck and the results of that were suspicious so I underwent an biopsy on Oct 1. The entire node was removed and sent to a regional cancer clinic for pathology. It came back negative for malignancy so a number of other tests were done due to the reactive nature of the node. In the end I have been diagnosed with nothing and a warning to get in to the doctor pronto if another gland exhibits similar behaviour. I was quite concerned during this whole exercise particularly in light of my risk factors so was quite relieved that nothing was found. So, I wouldn't worry until someone is able to tell you that you have cancer. Until then assume it's not. However, if you do engage in risk behaviour such as smoking now is a great time to drop the risk. I haven't had a smoke in over 2 months now and I had smoked pretty heavily for around 40 years.

Good luck to you.

Mike T #85025 11-28-2008 09:05 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi folks I am gonna chime in here cause I have recently had surgery and was told that radiation was not needed. Anyway I was just wondering how someone can tell if it a muscle that is tight from a neck dissection, scar tissue from neck dissection or a enflamed or swollen node. I have just recently been self massaging the area and well just noticed this can't see anything cause the area is still swollen. I am probably just jumping to conclusions but I am hyper cancer sensitive. I guess I am just curious if there is a noticable difference. I think it is too early after my surgery to tell.

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

[quote=darkeyedlady0]Hi folks I am gonna chime in here cause I have recently had surgery and was told that radiation was not needed. Anyway I was just wondering how someone can tell if it a muscle that is tight from a neck dissection, scar tissue from neck dissection or a enflamed or swollen node. I have just recently been self massaging the area and well just noticed this can't see anything cause the area is still swollen. I am probably just jumping to conclusions but I am hyper cancer sensitive. I guess I am just curious if there is a noticable difference. I think it is too early after my surgery to tell. [/quote]

I think you'd need to ask your doc that Dianne. I've got bumps under my scar and it's a little tight and tender at times. I've asked the surgeon about it a couple times on followups and he says it's just a normal part of the healing and that it will eventually clear up.

I work with a woman who had an excisional biopsy a couple years ago and she no longer has any bumps in her scar area.

I'd play it safe and ask your doc though.

Mike T #85027 11-28-2008 09:27 PM

Thanks and yeah I was kinda thinking in that direction. My next appointment in January. But I can ask my nurse practicioner sooner although I am not that worried. With the lumps that people have noticed is there any sore throat or ear with it? Again it is hard to judge or understand the human body it could still be residual from surgery...

Thanks

And Lee the best advice is to ask questions and mainly from professionals. I think that if given your circumstances your MD may speed up an appointment. Also (I know I am one to talk I am probably the queen of anxiety)the best advice given to me was to take a deep breath and try to relax. For now you are ok and should be ok till Monday. Enjoy the holiday and try not let it steal your thanksgiving from you. Eat Eat and Eat.

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Mike T #85049 11-29-2008 07:26 AM
Lee27 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks MIKE T. It;s good to hear your node was ok. Hope I get same results. Two days ago someone I hardly know referred to me as being in remission. I said no I'm cured. I wish these stupid people who haven't been through it would be quiet.
Your response was so detailed and thoughtful. I really appreciated it. Lee27

And Dark Eyed Lady what good advice. Will do my best to eat and not be anxious. Lee 27

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics