Print Thread
Sue G Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hello All,
I haven't posted for a long time because my password dropped out and I had to get a new one - but it was sent to my work e-mail, which I couldn't access until I went back to work 3 weeks ago.
I actually went back to work for one day three weeks prior to that but only lasted a day before being put into hospital with a severe neck infection. I thought that I had a build up of lymph fluid just above my collar bone but it was getting sorer and sorer and eventually my whole neck and shoulder were red and tender. My ENT had seen me the week before (when it was just a sore lump) and had scheduled an Ultrasound and CT (for the day I went to Hospital). He later told me he though I may have had another cancerous node - but at the time I was told that he thought it was fluid but didn't want to aspirate without the scans (to locate the carotid artery). Not sure if he was feeling guilty for not picking up om the infection but he said he didn't want to worry me unnecessarily about this being a possible recurrence.
I spent 9 days in hospital on I/V antibiotics and had the abscess aspirated several times, then lanced and finally cleaned out surgically and a drain put in. I wasn't allowed to leave hospital until the drain was removed. This was really frustrating because I didn't feel sick at all - I just had a sore neck!
After getting home I had a nurse visit to dress and pack the hole in my neck once a day. She stopped coming 2 weeks ago but I still have a hole in my neck. I am very able to dress it myself but how long will it take to go away? It has been more than 5 weeks now and it still an open (though slightly smaller) hole. It's about a half an inch (1cm) in diameter and about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) deep.
Has anyone else had this problem in a radiated area? Any suggestions on speeding the healing would be appreciated.
I was told that this problem was caused by lymph fluid building up and then a bug (streplococcus) getting into it! The pathology was all good though - no cancer cells - just infection. What is to stop this recurring?
I also had to get a grommet put into my left ear about 2 months ago because I had glue ear which was possibly another side effect from the radiation (caused narrowing of the eustachian tube). Again has anyone else had this happen or am I particularly lucky?
Apart from this hole I am doing really well. I am back at work and starting to feel a bit normal - which is a novel and wonderful place to be at the moment!

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia but I hope that you all had a great day.

Sue

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09
PEG fitted 05/06/10
L buccal SCC 10/10
freeflap (forearm)surgery 2/28/11 L buccal and gingiva
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sue,

I'm so sorry to read about your new problems and happy to hear that things are getting better.

Sorry that I can't answer any of your questions as they are out of the realm of my knowledge base. I hope someone will come along that can help you. I am surprised that your doctors can't give you some time frame for the closure to occur.

I am glad to hear that you are back at work and I'm sure that is a great relief for you.

No matter where we are in the world, I think that all of us cancer survivors celebrate a day of Thanksgiving every day.

Jerry

PS I may go to see the new movie, Australia" tonight even though it got poor reviews here in the states. We will go with the couple that went with us to Australia and will relive our fantastic vacation.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Sue G Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Jerry,
My ENT couldn't really give an exact timeframe, he said that it was hard to tell how long the healing would take because it was in a radiated area. I think that he may have said a month or two but I'm almost at that point now and it still seems a while off. I have an appointment with him tomorrow so hopefully I will get some answers then.

The infection is completely gone and I'm told it has to heal from the inside out. It just seems to be taking a long time.

I hope that Dot gets good news tomorrow, her problems make mine very insignificant. My thoughts will be with you both. Let's hope that she gets good news.

I saw Australia (the movie) yesterday and quite liked it. Once you get past the first 15 to 30 minutes it gets better (and Hugh Jackman is gorgeous!). You will enjoy the scenery - but it depends where you travelled in Australia as to whether it brings back memories or just shows you another side of the country.

Sue

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09
PEG fitted 05/06/10
L buccal SCC 10/10
freeflap (forearm)surgery 2/28/11 L buccal and gingiva
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi

I wasn't really given any time frame maybe about 8 months. If that helps. I was told last visit that it will be at least another 6-8 months before I can look at getting my lower dentures. I have a great deal of swelling and the last few days have been having a bit of a sore throat not major but aggravating again. I have no clue as what to look for "abnormally" wise. I don't know what is abnormal and what is healing. I do know it was quite a bit of work done surgically. Anyway I am just keeping my eye on things.

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

Sue,

I hope you can get some positive answers tomorrow about that non-healing hole. Good luck.

We did not see the movie as my wife wanted to speak to several people that have seen it already. Hugh Jackman's looks are not a draw for me, but Nicole Kidman ain't bad. I understand that there is a lot of the Outback in the movie and we did spend 5 days there.

I will update Dot's current situation in the General Forum thread. It's not good. Thanks for your positive thoughts.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users