Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#8297 09-25-2006 11:50 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Gail. The forum reindexes its search engine every two weeks automatically. In the interim I moved the topic out of the general forum into the activism forum http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/000077.html

Because the general forum has so much stuff in there it can run a little slow. So the search link for it hasn't been updated by the program yet. If you search for it this weekend it will probably find it again. When the forum is indexed it is closed to everyone, hence we don't do it every day or even every week. It takes hours for the program to index all the postings.

We could try rebuilding the home page from scratch and see what happens, but it is no different in code than all the other pages.... they are all made from the same CSS ( cascading style sheet)

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#8298 09-25-2006 12:02 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Nelie. In internet explorer you can set the default fonts that you want to see web pages in, and the size of those fonts. Set your fonts to the word default instead of picking a size or font type. That may make the problem go away. The new web standards allow people with bad eye sight to enlarge the type on their pages and have it re-wrap to fit their screens. This is one of the new benefits of the new web standards. You can also view web pages without any graphics for those that only want the content and the links on a page... a web geek/ researcher desire. So check your preferences. Another thing you should check in your preferences is that the size screen you have ( in pixels) is what is selected as your preference. No one should have to scroll left and right to see any of our pages or any pages built with CSS if the browser is set right, it will allow our page to adapt to your size screen. Again one of the reasons things are being standardized.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#8299 09-25-2006 03:13 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Brian, As an IT professional I did think of those things that you mentioned and tried several others as well. On my Mac it works fine in Safari but on my XP box it doesn't.

I have seen this problem before and it is something in IE I believe.

Soon IE7 will be released and we can all be plagued by yet another Microsoft upgrade! hehe

Tech Joke! Sorry.

IE has always had a bizarre way of handling certain code at times and it has always been somewhat of a mystery as to why these things happen on some machines and not others.

This is why I LOVE MY MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff Said! :-)

Thanks for the help though. It is possible that there is something in the code for the home page alone that is conflicting on some IE machines. Maybe rewriting the code fresh will fix the problem. Of course it is not the easiest of solutions but maybe if you want to build a new page and then upload it to a remote directory and send me a link I can test it and see if anything changes before you go to the trouble of uploading it to the site.

Just a couple of suggestions. I have written HTML code that wacked out on me and I could never really figure out why and then I rewrote it from scratch in a new file and it worked fine.

{{{{{shrugging shoulders}}}}}}}}

The technical world is still such a mystery, even to those of us who are suppose to be its master. :-)

The site looks great everywhere else I have been. I do like the redo. It is much easier to navigate and find information.

Thanks for all that you do!

With Love,
Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
#8300 09-25-2006 03:35 PM
JAM Offline

Boy, I hate to even venture into this deep water! I have no idea what the H*** you all are talking about, but when I go to the Home page, I get lots of blank space and have to scroll way down to find something [ that is not an adequate discription, I know]. Same thing happens when I choose a particular topic to view. I did change my text size to smallest and got a few more things in view. Guess Brian, Chester, Nelie, Cindy, Minnie or someone is just going to have to come to Arkansas and set me straight. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#8301 09-25-2006 05:42 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Home page issue. This issue is because you have java script turned off in your browser, and that scrolling type at the bottom of the page is java script. When your browser does not allow it to display, it causes the issue that you are seeing. We can rebuild this crawl in something other than Javascript, and Chester will do it in the next week. Most people have it turned on because it is used so much in web sites. (It is the most common way to get movement into your web site) But sometimes in highly protected computers where people have heavy protection software enabled, that software AUTOMATICALLY disables Javascript because it is a macro running in the site, and a site that was built to screw you up intentionally could attach a virus to it. We wouldn't and no one can do that to our site, but that is the answer to the problem. Quick fix - enable Javascript in your browser. Slow fix, wait till Chester rewrites the code for this as a Flash macro.

#8302 09-25-2006 05:47 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Cindy.... this is commonly refered to as computer voodoo. I had a printer that would not print through an ethernet cable that I had used for years. I unplugged and replugged the cable looking for loose fittings....nothing. I friend said change the cable end for end. Now you know this is BS, and wouldn't make any difference. I did what he said, and the @#$%^ printer started working. Computer Voodoo

#8303 09-26-2006 01:33 AM

Ohhh the Voodoo..

I have a client that is one of the largest limo/transportation companies in Houston. They have a fairly sizable network and every now and then we would have to take down one of the client computers and format and reinstall Windows because for some spooky unknown reason it would crash everytime they opened IE.

It happened to almost every computer in the office except the servers. We have never been able to figure out what was in that office that caused the problem.

Now they are all XP and we built new servers about a year ago and it hasn't happened since but I can tell you it was frustrating.

Different users, different machines, same weird problem. We were convinced there was a gremlin in the office or something that would come and attack at night.

After doing this for the last 10 years I can tell you that there is not a single thing a computer can do that would surprise me.

You crack me up though. I have had a customer with aa similar issue as your printer and although it seems counterintuitive.... it does work.

And now you can see why it is that I have chosen to change careers and become a lawyer instead. HAHAHA

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
#8304 09-26-2006 02:16 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Can I paraphrase Amy? HUH!? JaneP smile

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
#8305 09-26-2006 02:22 PM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

I do not have the patience that Chester has with software and hardware. I just want it to do what I want it to do, and I do not particularly want to understand every idiosyncrasy of why it is able to. While I have a good working knowledge of things, it wouldn

#8306 09-26-2006 03:13 PM
JAM Offline

Well, my personality , being what is is, has never wanted to be 99.9% of anything ordinary laugh So I hope youall get this fixed where we "unordinary" folks can have access-if not- I repeat- someone is going to have to come to the Arkansas Ozarks and fix me [and maybe play a little golf, or fish for trout or sit on my deck and drink margaritas and watch the sun set over the lake while you are here. Fondly, Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users