Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#82523 10-22-2008 10:26 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

I am thinking this isn't the right topic for this question, but maybe it should be it's own new category, where things like HPV can be threaded, etc?

I'd like to start it off by asking the following about spicy foods.

Seems to me, someone who is predisposed to oral cancer should avoid any repetitive "irritation" of the mouth and throat....fair enough.

I firmly believe a certain mouthwash, starts with an "L" and has a LOT of alcohol content may have contributed to my cancer development...I started using said oral rinse about 20 years ago, when I was still in high school. Kept it in the shower and used it at least once a day, usually 2 or 3x a day, EVERY DAY for 20 years.

Since I've never smoked, never drink in excess, and haven't ever chewed tobacco seems like an interesting but useless correlation.

I guess it might be useful for others to know (if this is true) and most importantly an easy change for me, I now use Crest Pro Health which has no alcohol. (We'll probably find that one of it's active ingredient is carcinogenic someday smile

Wait! I was asking about spicy foods...yikes.

Ok, so now more than ever I seem to crave VERY spicy foods, especially the Tabasco type seasonings. I crave and consume a TON of Frank's Red Hot sauce, Tapatio, and Chalula brand sauces.

Wondering if this constant "irritation" of the mouth is a bad thing.

Also, wondering if the cravings are a by-product of the treatment in some way? Physically craving more "stimulation" of the taste-buds since they may not be 100% of pretreatment sensitivity? Or maybe psychological, since I feel entitled to enjoy spicy or strong stuff since for months and months during and after treatment I could hardly drink a sip of water.

Heck, that could be a good excuse for eating in general...I recall saying to myself, "Why can't I enjoy this giant bad-for-me pizza, after all I've been through I deserve it". (I know, I'm a nut job!)

Speaking of pizza, I think it is nearly proven that nitrates and processed meats are terrible for us and in-particular to be avoided for those with cancer concerns. Is this covered in a topic somewhere..?

Wow - I'm all over the place here! To stay on theme, let me throw this out there too...

Anyone use a certain throat spray for sore throat? It's active ingredient Phenol may be linked to certain cancers. Of course, what isn't right? This one in particular though is used to make plastics, nylon and epoxy, so who knows?

Here's a blurb from the EPA:
"It is not known if phenol causes cancer in humans. Cancer developed in mice when phenol was applied to the skin several times per week for the lifetime of the animal. Phenol did not cause cancer in mice or rats that drank water containing it for 2 years. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and the EPA have determined that phenol is not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans."

(Is it uncool to post these things?)

So, it's likely these topics have been thoroughly exhausted on previous threads and I guess I was too lazy to keep searching for them.

Just puttin' it out there.

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I avoid alcohol type mouthwashes; although, I believe the alcohol in mouthwashes is a lot different then regular drinking types of alcohol. Now as spicy foods go, I assume as long as they don't cause sores it's okay. And junk food, fast foods or processed foods...well of course they're no good for you...But like everything in life, if you want to do it then "in moderation" is key. Too much of anything is never good for anyone.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
OP Offline

oh, oh, oh...I forgot too (hi Ray, Nice to meet you!)...

I have a nasty habit (one of a few) of chewing on plastic.

I know. gross huh?

Basically, coffee cup lids are great, pens and even some plastics like spoons, etc.

Soft plastics are my favorite (like the plastic used to make those little hand held flossers, etc)

Trouble is, the same chemicals used to soften plastics are linked to certain cancers too. (Phthalates)

Seems like everything is, but wanted to put it out there.

I am making conscious efforts to STOP chewing on plastic and of course during and after tx for a long time couldn't even consider it due to pain, discomfort and gross tastes.

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome back Michael.

Happy to see that you are as verbally prolific as always.

I hope that you feeling well and congratulations on your 3 year anniversary.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I would avoid alcohol containing mouthwashes, they are not the best way to kell off the negative flora in your mouth. Everyone know I';m a big Biotene person, especially their brand new line called PBF which not only has the enzymes but also a proprietary man made protein that eliminates biofilms in your mouth.

Along with alcohol killing off the GOOD flora in your mouth with the bad, which is a stpid idea when you think about it, it DRYS the crap out of your soft tissues, damaging them, especially in post treatment oral cancer patients.

If you do a bunch of research on jalapenos, hot sauces, and the hottest families of peppers in particular, they contain cancer fighting bio nutrients, and if you can tolerate them I would use them. This is not the same as chronic irritation in your mouth, which is mechanical for the most part not chemical.

Nice to see you back and in good health. And yes, our world is full of chemicals that might hurt us, but you can't avoid all of them. That is a fact that there is no sound way around to avoid the vast majority of them. Just remember to be prudent without being obsessive, and that the odds of dying on a CA freeway are pretty high compared to many of the illnesses that these things MIGHT cause. Everything in balance - include fear of that which might get you when you are not looking.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Brian,

I just bought a bottle of the PBF Mouthwash and, Wow!! I love the way it makes my mouth feel, so clean! And generally my mouth is feeling anything but good these days. Thanks for the recc.

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Where can it be found? Wal Mart, Walgreens, CVS??

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I have found Bioten PBF products (mouthwash and toothpaste) at:
$$$ Walgreens $$ Walmart $ Local discount drugstore

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Oooh, I like your SSS scaling.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Any thoughts on the plastic things?

Bryan are you still taking Green Tea?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics