Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8246 09-11-2006 05:43 PM
August Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Dear All,

I am fairly new to the board, and I imagine that this topic has been covered, but I need to hear both sides of the radiation issue. I had surgery for SCC of the right maxilla and palate in January. Based on the size of the lesion, (T2)and the length of time we figure that it was present, my surgeon also did a neck dissection. All margins were clear, and all nodes were negative, so he did not recommend radiation or chemo. He said that he feels that he has gotten all of the cancer, and that if I do have a recurrence, then we still will be able to use radiation.

This makes me nervous! I am certainly not anxious to have radiation and all of its side effects, but if it will kill any remaining cancer cells, then I do want it. Why wait until they grow into a tumor?

I am very confused. I love this site, but I am afraid that I will become too fearful if I continue to read the posts, because I am not sure that I have had all the treatment that I should have had.

Also, I have been very hopeful and upbeat, but since reading of so many recurrences, I am beginning to feel discouraged.

I need and want the knowledge from other patients, but I don't want to look for trouble if there is no cause to suspect it.

So.....I would like to know how many people with T1/2, NO, M0 lesions had radiation and how many didn't. Thanks.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

August,

I was a T1,N0,M0 and did not have radiation. I did a lot of second guessing of the tumor board's recommendation after finding this board, but 3 years out I am still all clear.

Sincerely,
Lisa

SCC Tongue T1N0M0\Dx 3-10-03
Hemiglossectomy, alloderm graft, modified neck dissectomy 4-14-03
3 Year Survivor!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

August,

As you know from our private emails, I too, had only surgery. So that others reading your thread will be able to get a sense of how many of us are on the board that have had only surgery, I've decided to add my post.

Like Lisa, I, too, have had many periods of second guessing. This didn't occur until reading the many posts on this subject. After almost 1 1/2 years post surgery, I am comfortable with the treatment protocol that I had and am content with the follow-up care that I am now receiving.

Each of our cases are different and unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any set protocols for treatment or follow-up care. One of the most compelling reasons that I have read for surgery only in T1N0MO cases, is that in the unfortunate case of a recurrence, the use of radiation is still a possibility. Others will argue that the use of radiation (and chemo) initially, will lower the chances of a recurrence.

There is no doubt that getting cancer sucks and living with the threat of a recurrence sucks, but we somehow have to get to the state of mind where we can go about our daily lives and enjoying life again. There isn't a day that doesn't go by without me thinking about oral cancer. However, as most of the board knows, much of this involvement is related to making my patients and dental colleagues aware of the importance of thorough oral cancer screenings. Hopefull, after I retire, I will be able to spend even more time in the getting the word out that "Early Detection, Saves Lives".

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

August,

I've been on this forum for about 2 1/2 years now and have seen plenty of T2's who had radiation (and plenty of others who didn't). From everything I've read here and on several of the linked sites, it's not a straightforward call, and it depends on many of the specific characteristics of the tumor, not just the stage.

I was 39 and a non smoker when I was diagnosed. I had a partial glossectomy followed by a modified radical neck dissection, and the pathology report showed that the surgeons got clear margins, and that there was no lymph node involvement. However, the report also indicated that the tumor was "poorly differentiated", which meant that it had the potential to grow aggressively. I think it was that fact, along with the fact that there could still be microscopic cancer cells left behind, that caused my tumor board to push strenuously for me to have radiation (which I did). I followed their advice, had many of the nasty side effects (mostly temporary) that go with radiation, and thankfully have not had a recurrence in 17 years.

The thing that concerns me most about your post is that it sounds as though the recommendation not to have radiation is coming from one person -- your surgeon. There are lots of terrific surgeons out there (and some less than terrific), but I think they have a tendency to focus on their own specialty. If you haven't seen a comprehensive head and neck cancer team, I would urge you to get to one for an opinion. They can either support your surgeon's conclusion (which should put some of your fears to rest), or give you sound reasons why perhaps surgery alone wasn't enough.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989

August,

Cathy makes a good point. I neglected to mention that the decision to forgo radiation in my case was made in conjunction with a radiation oncologist.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

August,

I too was advised by my surgeon not to have radiation. I had a cervical node on my neck removed that was positive for SCC. The surgeon did a bunch of random biopsies in my mouth and removed my tonsils all of which came back negative. As much as I wanted to follow his advice because it was the easiest path for me I knew that the primary cancer must be found. So I continued to ask for tests until it was foind via PET scan. And yes I'm having radiation and chemo now.

Tim Stoj

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
August Offline OP
OP Offline

I know that we can't diagnose each other's carcinomas here, nor can we second-guess the treatment modalities recommended by our various physicians. I asked at the time of my surgery if I shouldn't consider having follow-up treatments after my surgery, and I was told that in the surgeon's opinion, I had nothing to treat. I had clear margins, negative nodes, and a well-differentiated SCC. Perhaps it was the latter that enabled my dr. to make the decision that radiation at this time was not recommended. I know that most of these treatments are dictated by various protocols. I did not have a consultation with a radiation oncologist. I have a local friend in the field. I think that I will ask him to review my records and render an opinion. I'll report back. I am thankful that I didn't have to endure the radiation, but not at the expense of this anxiety over my future.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

I need to weigh in also. My husband has had 3 SCC oral cancers (2002, 2005, 2006),starting at age 57 - he is almost 62 now. He never smoked and rarely drinks. He has never had radiation, and this is at the affirmation of 2 separate ENTs, a MO, and his radiation oncologist. I know some would have said that had he had radiation/chemo, at the first SCC, he wouldn't have had the recurrences, however, all indications were that he didn't need it, that each cancer was caught early and completely. I want to reiterate that all were small (T1), well-differentiated, margins all clear, plus following the neck dissection with the first cancer, all nodes were clear. Follow-up scans when he had the recurrence this last time (early May of this year), showed no activity at all, which means that even from the first SCC he had in 2002, nothing remained after surgerical removal of the lesion, to metastasize. And he just had a check-up today at Shands Hospital, and his ENT gave him an all clear. I agree with Jerry in that "each of our cases are different", and "there doesn't appear to be any set of protocols for treatment". Each case has to be weighed on its individual circumstances. I just presented this information as another case history of "radiation or not". Thanks all smile
JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)

August,
I am curious. Where were you treated? In what part of Texas do you live? It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from a multidisciplinary group at MD Anderson.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

August,
welcome to the world of "second guessing" I think it comes with the territory. I don't really have anything to add - everyone has already said what I might have said.

The NCCN guidelines are on the fence, especially depending on what exactly is the area of your tumor. In one case is says to "consider radiation" in another "rt optional", yet in another it shows the decision tree going straight from surgery to "watchful waiting" (standard followup exams).

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics