Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#82089 10-15-2008 09:54 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

Today I finally had my 1st of 35 radiation treatments. It takes 25 minutes just to radiate me after they get me ready. Previously they said I would only be under rad. 15 minutes. "It didn't hurt a bit," but the mask they made me feels to tight at the neck area in the front. I told them it was and they shaved a bit off but I still feel choked and my pulse bumping against it. And I have developed a headache of which I normally never have. However, if it has to be done, then let's get it done. Thank you all for the information you have given me, Couldn't help but be nervous. Angel

EZJim, I didn't even get to go last night as they didn't get the machine fixed until late. lol Angel

SCC left tonsil, tonsillectomy with additional tissue removed 06/10/08, a few teeth on top left side removed 09/05/08,recurrence before treatment started at BOT and tonsil area, 35 IMRT treatments began 10/15/08, and Cisplatin IV (began10/16/08) weekly for duration of radiation.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Angel-
erik too complained of the tightness, he actually would panic on occasion. After about a week he was able to use some deep breathing techniques and he really worked on meditation/prayer during his Rad. He said it was so quiet that he could actually hear himself. I am praying that your rad appointments are a time of sanctuary for you.
Best wishes
Jennie

Caregiver to Erik -1st DX 12/22/2005 SCC of Tongue, T3N1M0, hemi-glossectomy,60 nodes removed, carboplatnin,Erbitux, 35Rads.
Reoccurrence T1N0M0 4/14/08-partial glossectomy-16 weeks Erbitux and Taxol-
3rd reoccurrence 5/18/12- partial glossectomy
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Angel,

My first rad tx was September 16...So I'm just a month ahead of you. My mask was soooo tight I wanted to scream. When they would take the mask off it felt like my eyeballs were going to jump out of their sockets. I would also have a hard time seeing for a couple of minutes and marks all over my face. And yes, after the first tx they do go much faster. You can take in some music that may help. My rad team have music playing as is...I don't mind I just listen to the machine and before you know it it's over.

Just go one day at a time and keep up the eating and drinking as long as you can. Shoot for 2000 to 3000 calories a day and 48 plus ounces of liquids a day. If you can taste--eat, eat and eat some more! Use everything they give you. I have a swish and spit, swish and swallow and two creams. I'm in week 5 and basically doing nothing but liquids and I have zero taste...and what I do taste is indescribable...not good. But everyone is different. And stretch your mouth and brush and rinse and rest and eat and drink...Take it one day at a time and you'll get through this...And fluoride trays at bedtime...Don't worry a lot of great advice coming your way!

take care,

Raymond

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better

Way to go! I admire you I really don't know if I would be as brave if I was told I would have to have radiation. now that you have one under your belt you know what to expect. Keep it up. I have also heard that music helps that's what works for me when I have something unpleasant to do!! Take care you are doing great!

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Yeah that first day is quite an adjustment and I remember it as if it were yesterday but you'll get use to it and you'll do fine. As Ray said just take one day at a time and do continue to get fluids and calories into your body EACH and EVERY day.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Jennie, Thanks for the info. How long did Eric have to stay in the radiation machine to be radiated (15 min. or 25 min)? Angel

Raymond, Thanks you for all the reminders as that helps a lot to remember what all I have to do. I have made me notes and will put on my door. This afternoon I feel kinda sunburned in that area of my neck. Do you put any lotions or anything on the area being radiated or just leave it alone? Tomorrow I start Chemo treatments after I finish with radiation. Angel

Darkeyedlady, I will check out some music as Raymond said. Today I just counted over and over till the 25 minutes were finally up. Thanks, Angel

SCC left tonsil, tonsillectomy with additional tissue removed 06/10/08, a few teeth on top left side removed 09/05/08,recurrence before treatment started at BOT and tonsil area, 35 IMRT treatments began 10/15/08, and Cisplatin IV (began10/16/08) weekly for duration of radiation.
OP Offline

David, All of this is so much to take in at once so I really appreciate all the infor I get. Thanks a lot, Angel

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Angel,

I was radiated about 15 mins each time but towards the end, like the last week or so they stopped radiating 2 spots and my time was cut back about 5 mins. I was clamped down on the table longer than that and every Monday they measured me which added an additional 10 mins to my table time. UGH

My radiation people had their own boom box but I brought my own CD's until I just got to weak to care what I was listening to.

I remember my first day and I swear I could smell burning flesh or what I imagined that would smell like but my RO said I was crazy. I never did experience any sunburn effects and I attribute that to being on the darker skin pigment side of the scale.

It's all going to take getting use to so just don't think your not normal, you are.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Angel:

For me the 1st day was the toughest. I kinda freaked out as it took 30 minutes. Then they told me they were also doing XRays. After that it took about 15 minutes except days they did XRays (maybe once a week)They had music and let me bring my own. Also used deep breathing to try and relax and prayed. Sometimes while favorite songs played I went somewhere else in my head for a visit, mini vacation.

My Rad tech were great, they always waited until I was physically and mentally ready before they strapped me in. One day at a time and it will be over.

Bill Van Horn-53 ex-smoker, social drinker, Biopsy 8/24, Diagnosed 8/30/07 BOT T2N2-B MX Stage IV. Started treatments 10/1/07. IMRT 35 x, Cisplatin - 3 cycles - completed treatment 11/16/07. CT Scans on 1/15/08 all clear Selective neck dissection 1/28/08. All nodes clear.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Angel:

Best of luck with your rad tx. Its not easy but you can do it. What helped me was to just close my eyes and take a deep breath then try to pretend I was doing something I actually wanted to do. I used to daydream about being on a deserted beach just lying in the warm sunshine. Sounds a bit silly but it worked for me. Everyday is one less you need to do.

Take Ray's advice, he knows his stuff. Its making his battle so much easier by doing all those things he told you about. If you follow those steps it will greatly benefit your ability to handle tx and recovery will be so much easier.

As far as lotions go. Dont use anything before you go to rad. Your skin needs to be just lotion and cream free for rad. After you are finished lather it on to avoid problems later. There are many different types out there, prescription creams are very inexpensive and work the best. I used beta-val on my face and neck. Aquaphor on my lips. Even though my neck had some pretty bad burns and blisters, there is not one scar left.

Keep up the good attitude and it will help time fly by smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy