Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Eileen,
Prayers and best wishes that all turns out well for you.
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Eileen Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes guys. They must have worked.

Had the angiogram last Wednesday. Besides the 95% blockage in the right carotid, I also had a 99% blockage in the right iliac artery above the groin. Since he has to stent this to get to the carotid, he did that last Weds. Because I had such high levels of dye in my system, he decided NOT to try to stent the carotid last Thursday but to do it this Wednesday.

So I get to do this all over again in two days. Can't say I'm looking forward to it. This is about the most BORING recovery procedure I've ever been through. After they spend an hour or more trying to get your blood to clot again, they remove the catheters and then send you to a room or this time ICU where you must lie on your back with leg straight out and not move for 6 hours making it impossible to read and almost impossible to see a TV. And since I have a trach which puts pressure on the wound if I talk, I'm also not allowed to talk. Sleeping it not an option as I might roll, plus it is too noisy. I think I got a total of 1 hours slepp that night.

The stent in the iliac did solve the problem of my cramps in my right thigh. The other doctor never even suggested this. He was going to stent below the groin. This doctor says that usually doesn't work for long and he is going to try to avoid having to do it. We will address other leg problems 4 months after carotid. Tey may need to stent left iliac.

So off I go again on Wednesday. Will then be off the board until at least Monday. Will let you know what happens, I hope.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

You'll be in my prayers. For the boredom, what about a book on CD? I know I couldn't lay still and do nothing for 6 hours. Linda

Husband diagnosed 2/9/05 SCC Larynx (piriform sinus)Stage IV,T4,N1,MO
cisplatin/5FU 3/21-3/25 & 4/11-4/15, began 39 rad 4/21/05 last rad 6/17/05, mrnd 10/7/05
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

What else can I say but Hang In There.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I wonder why 6 hrs? I had to lay still with a weight over the spot where they cut for the catheter to go in, but only for about an hour and a half. Good luck and I bet you are glad it's over.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

God, Eileen, sounds like quite the ordeal keeping still for that long but not sleeping. The book on tape or CD idea is a good one, though those often put me to sleep. In fact, if I had to lie flat on my back for any length of time and wasn't allowed to sleep, someone would have to be waking me up a lot I think!

I'm sending all the good healing vibes (and not-too-bored vibes) that I can. Let us know how it went as soon as you can!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Eileen

I am so sorry i have been remiss is sending my warmest good wishes to you,and wishing you luck in the treatment,but here they are.

(((((HUGS)))))
LIZ

Last edited by Cookey; 09-09-2008 12:35 PM.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Eileen Offline OP
OP Offline

This time I got to go through the BORING recovery TWICE and the procedure once.

As I was lying on my gerney waiting for to go to OR for procedure, a woman who was having a heart attack was wheeled into the next bay. She had collapsed at her office for no known reason. After getting some background info from her, they rush into OR for an angiogram to determine what is happening. About 15 minutes later they pick me up for carotid artery stent procedure. Now my surgeon is the head cartiologist and if there is going to be any complications in this emergency in the other OR, he is likely to be needed. They get all the equipment set up for me, do the prep work, and then the IDIOT intern decides to run the IV lines into the groin WITHOUT checking to see if my doctor is going to be available to do the procedure. Two seconds later my doctors associate comes in to apologize and say my doctor has been called in on the emergency. I COULD KILL that intern. Now I have to do the 8-10 hours don't move or talk for a procedure that wasn't even done. Plus when he is trying to get my blood back to normal clotting level, he gives me to much of the drug and then has to thin it out again. I almost went into shock at one point. The bruising is so bad this time I can barely walk because this idiot also didn't know how to correctly apply pressure to stop the bleeding. So that was fun.

Needless to say Thursday procedure went without a problem. Doctor was delighted with the results. He was able to get carotid open far wider than he expected, don't know how much, but he was hoping for 70%. Even gave me a before and after picture to show me the blood getting to the brain. That before picture is a pretty scary shot.

The woman in the emergency was doing well. She was a 40 year old that collapsed out of the clear blue. She has some rare condition that occurs in 1-500,000 people where her arteries just collapse. they were collapsing before the doctors eyes as they were wroking on her. Took 4 doctors several hours and multiple stents to make her stable.

They wound up keeping me an extra day trying to get my BP up high enough for release. They want you on the high side as it takes a couple of days for the carotid to recover. So they are IV feeding me something to up the BP and then the silly nurses come in and want to give my BP medicine. I question the wisdom of this and they check with doc on floor in coronary care unit. He says, OH that is for arhymthia (sp) and it is OK. I say ARE YOU SURE because it also lowers my BP. Oh he sure. Next day my BP still not where they want it. Turns out I should not have had in BP meds for 48 hours after procedure.

So it is now 6:PM and they decide since it is so late, I might as well spend another night in coronary care so they can monitor overnight. I agree. Well, 10:30PM, in bounces my adorable two nurses who announce that I am 'going to take a walk'. They are throwing me out of the room in coronary care and sending me to a regular room where I won't get monitored cause they need the bed in corinary care. Fun and games.

I am doing well, although very badly bruised. Still have difficulty walking and climbing stairs but I think I can thank the idiot intern for that. It will probably take me twice as long to heal this time. Last time I had no difficulty after a couple of days.

So thanks for all the good vibes and prayers. I survived another one.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters