Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80126 09-07-2008 05:31 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi me again worry wart...but I can't help it I made it through the weekend not exactly sure how but I guess the more time someone has the more last minute gotta do list gets bigger...just as I believe it or not was in a frame of mind that everything was going to be ok noticed on the back of my tongue today white bumps not small but fair size they are alarming me as I have no clue if they are a part of my cancer and these spots have not been seen yet...I don't know what they could be and I hope they are not cancer on the top back of the tongue. I don't know if it is from eating or hot (temp)foods or well my friend said if they are at least they are fairly new and can be stopped fast...I know nobody is a doctor on this site but if someone maybe familiar with this it probably won't matter anyway as my surgery is 6 am so nobodoy will get a chance to answer this one....

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
OP Offline

Night before surgery still can't sleep...waiting for all to come home and say goodnite and get one more hug from everyone...my son, my daughter, my future son-in-law and best friend...there are so many ifs my stomach is in knots and I am so not sure of what is going to happen...thought I was ready...really did...how can someone prepare for this...think I am gonna wash my hair...I don't know what to do ....I should have gone with them and spent the time with them...I will be good I pray and pray and pray...I can't believe I have cancer...god please help me...
I know they are professionals and I am a anxious but that is me..they will have their hands full..I am not making any sense any more...I feel like my hands are so tied...nothing to do but do...if there is anyone out there thanks for listening...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
OP Offline

PS... I have not read anybody being this anxious about their surgery...I must be off the charts...cause I sure don't feel normal

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

More than likely, these bumps are normal bumps that everyone has on the back of their tongue and they are called circumvalate papillae. Most people that have never had oral cancer, never notice these normal anatomical raised areas.

Of course there is no way for me to tell you that for sure without looking at your tongue.

Just mention it tomorrow to your surgeon when you see him/her.

Good luck tomorrow, We are all pulling for you.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

Thank you Jerry....I am probably over reacting but what else can one expect from someone with anxiety disorder going through this...I appreciate everyone's patience with me...I have not read anybody else being this nervous on this site...but then again they probably kept it more to themselves...I really don't have anyone to be nervous here with without scaring the heck out of them and I don't wanna do that...

thanks again for your patience...I do not deal with stress well...at all but despite the anxiety fears and tears I will get to the other side...

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I have spoken with darkeyedlady0's husband this evening. He reports that she came through her surgery well today. The surgeon said that he was able to remove all of the tumour and would have pathology reports in hand before her discharge home. He would then be able to give her a difinitive answer whether further treatment would be required. I am posting at her request until she is able to do so again on her own.

Caregiver to husband Dx. Stage 4 SCC of gingiva with 3 nodes pos. Partial mandiblectomy with bone graft from iliac crest Dec. 2006. IMRT x30, Cisplatin x3. Completed Tx. March 15, 2007. Osteonecrosis & removal of graft & plate Oct. 2007. Recurrence of SCC Dec. 2007. Deceased Jan. 17, 2008.

Wally's wife. Thank you for letting us know how it went for her. You did a gfood job with that post.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #80195 09-09-2008 10:00 AM

Thanks, WW.....Please tell DEL how much we are all interested in her case and how much we are hoping that all went well so that she can focus her energies on getting better.

XO

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
August #80196 09-09-2008 10:17 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Wally's Wife-

Thanks for the update!! Glad to hear she came through the surgery well.

Stephanie, 23, SCC on the right side of my tongue, surgery on 5-19-08, over half my tongue removed, free flap constructed from my forearm, bilateral neck dissection, one positive node. Radiation (32) and chemo (carboplatin) started on 6-16-08. Recurrence 4/09 in lungs.

**** Stephanie passed away 12.15.09.... RIP our dear friend****

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie, saskychris
13,185 Registered Users